Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

just asking

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 12:02 AM
mncn8253

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just asking

How would a ParkZone P-51D Mustang RTF be for a first time flyer?
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Park...500pkz1027.htm
Old 11-22-2005, 01:04 AM
WolfeWind

Default RE: just asking

The P-51 is an advanced airplane. It would be a VERY BAD choice for your first airplane. Go with a slow flying high wing airplane until you learn the basics of control.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:05 AM
flyranger

I re-entered rc flying after 20 years of being "away". I assumed my skills would be adequate. Let's see....destroyed a Graupner Tipsy after three abortive flights. Destroyed a Great Planes Lil' Poke in the wind (turned the wrong way....oooppss). Bit the bullet, swallowed my pride and bought a GWS Slow Stick. Flew it for 5 months, successfully. Built a Great Planes Basic Light Trainer (BLT) and flew it for two months. Gained actual "stick time" and improved my skills. Downloaded FMS and, when too windy to fly, practiced, practiced, practiced!! Now I have upgraded power systems on both the Slow Stick and built a new Lil Poke with more power. I am experienced enough to fly (and land safely) in anything up to about 10mph winds. Took almost 8 months. Check out my gallery. IMHO - get a high wing trainer and get in the air!!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 11:11 AM
mncn8253

Thanks for the help, I knew what the answer was going to be about the P-51 stang. I'v wanted that plane for years now. I think i'm going to get a couple of HobbyZone Firebird Commander 2 w/ACT for my 13yo and I. that plane looks like it was made for us plus it has that cool X-PORT combat thing for when we get better at flying. If someone thinks there is a better plane that will suit us better please let me know.
thanks. Cliff
Old 11-22-2005, 10:25 PM
WolfeWind

I think the Commander is as good a choice as any to start out. I learned on one of those about 2 years ago now. Two of those actually, the first one flew away. Replacement parts are readily available and the plane actaually flies quite well. Just make sure you have a big flying field at first and no wind. It is very hard to bring a 2 channel plane back once it gets downwind from you - even for a more experienced pilot.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Leo L

Have you checked out the Firebird Freedom? It looks to be a cross between the Firebird and the Aerobird.

If you haven't purchased your plane(s) yet, consider the following plan. Buy two AeroAces from Toy-r-us as your initial starters. Although they are micro-planes, they are only $30 each, are virtually indestructable, and will teach you several critical lessons. They will teach you that as a beginner, you need to fly only on calm days. They will teach you throttle control and will teach you to stay away from trees. Finally, they will teach you about control reversal, i.e.: when the plane is flying toward you, you need to move the control stick to the right for the plane to turn to the left. You don't need to go to a large field to fly these planes, you can fly them in your yard, in front of your house, in a gymnasium, etc. Once you are comfortable with flying these 2-channel planes, skip over the large 2-channel planes and buy a pair of basic three channel planes for you and your son. You can select from the Firebird Freedom, the Aerobird / T-Hawk, the Slow-V / Slow Stick, or any number of other three channel trainers.