Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

brusslesses

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 12:04 PM
deepankar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brusslesses

what r these brussless motor and why is it so popular amongst all the electric R/C enthusiast.....what is the theory behind the brussless motors ....what are the hardware required to make one in my garage.....does any one know the answer to my question please help me with this...
Old 12-01-2005, 08:24 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: brusslesses

in fly rc or maybr ma magazine,,there is an ad to build your own brushless for $10,,they have no brushes to wear out so they last quite a bit longer but also they need special ESC's to convert power and therefore function better with lipo battery set up,,cant find it just now,,but theres a pic of a woman holding a rolling pin....Rog
Old 12-01-2005, 07:50 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

In the General section there is a sticky discussion on brushless motors. You should read it. Basically, it is all about power verses weight. I once went into an aircraft museam and they spent a lot of floor space showing the evolution of engines. It was facinating.
Same is true in this hobby. I can get a 2 oz brushless motor and a 3 oz lipo battery and generate 20 oz's of thrust. Well that is just about straight up like a rocket.

As for building one yourself. If you have the skills and equipment to build a brushed motor you could build a brushless, but of course you would need a source for really strong curved permanent magnets. There are very cheap brushless motors that come out of CD rom drives that can fly very light planes (like 6 oz planes). What makes a motor cheap is the volume of mass production that can be achieved. Brushless will keep getting cheaper, because more and more people are buying them.

My advice is don't mess with rolling your own. You are going to spend $50 for a brushless motor and $60 for the speed control. That contrast with $15 for a brushed motor and $30 for the speed control. Well the difference is about 1 video game, but a lot more fun.

Larry
Old 12-02-2005, 07:20 AM
flyranger

Or you can go on ebay. I bought this one for 23,51 including shipping. I have one of these already. Good brushless outrunner.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

enjoy
Old 12-03-2005, 05:02 AM
deepankar

as Iwatson( larry) said i want to use a motor 4rm a cd-rom but after u take out the motor ,it wont work....i've tried once but i think i'm missing a point and that is the speed control circuit if some one knows the way to make them at home i might b succesful.....its a good idea to buy a ready-made motor but i wont b happy like that......u know
Old 12-03-2005, 11:00 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

The speed control is not trivial, it converts DC to AC at the frequency you want the motor to run at and distributes it to the three wires in the motor, and of course it is sensitive to the input from the radio, and don't forget to take the 11.1 volts and turn it down to 4.5 volts to power the receiver and the servos. And don't let it overheat while doing all this.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:12 AM
deepankar

Ok thankx 4 the advice......and i'm intending to a motor from a floppy drive(the one at the back as a servo motor)will the idea work.....and what kind of circuit configuration does it require.......if possible can u send me some diagrams or a link to it........
Old 12-05-2005, 08:01 PM
ray foley

deepankar

go to www.powerditto.de and learn about brushless motor from the experts.

good luck

Ray Foley