Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Flew a sim and now I'm scared

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Flew a sim and now I'm scared

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Starmoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flew a sim and now I'm scared

I flew a RC sim, one where the line connects with the radio, and then goes to the computer. The plane was a low wing aeobatic plane, so I don't know if that has something to do with things or not, but it was sooo hard to fly!!!! Hopefully in reality a trainer will be easier....I believe the software was by Icarus...
Old 11-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Leo L

Default RE: Flew a sim and now I'm scared

I notice that you joined RCUniverse almost two years ago, yet your thread implies that you have not flown yet. Please clarify your level of experience so that it will be easier to provide an answer that is suitable to your experience and needs.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Starmoon

ORIGINAL: Leo L

I notice that you joined RCUniverse almost two years ago, yet your thread implies that you have not flown yet. Please clarify your level of experience so that it will be easier to provide an answer that is suitable to your experience and needs.
I did join two years ago, but haven't flown yet. I'm going to be getting a parkzone RTF..likley the super decathelon.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trainers are easier to fly, but still pose some challenges, especially if you are doing it alone.

If you have the sim, you may as well learn to fly a trainer there first. This will help immensely for your first time out for real and will save you a lot of time, money and frustration.

If you are stuck on Parkzone, the Slo-V would make a better trainer PROVIDED that you live in an area that gets a fair amount of days that have almost ZERO wind. The Slo-V and equivalent GWS Slow Stick are a challenge to learn when the wind is blowing even slightly.

And a lot also depends on the quality of wind. If it is steady breeze, no gusts, no turbulence at all, then even a stiffer breeze isn't much of problem. Once you fly a plane like the Slo-V, you quickly learn to appreciate that even a calm day with slight gusts in a churning atmosphere can cause some consternation, especially when trying to grease a landing.

Rebuilding isn't as much fun as building.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Leo L

If you have been getting a lot of flying time on the sim, then the Decathlon should be no problem as a first plane. However, it sounds like you have not gotten very much good flight time on the sim, so I would agree with Time Pilot that there are better choices for you. Go with either the Slow-V or the Aerobird Challenger. Then, when you are comfortable with 3-channel control, go for the Decathlon.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Starmoon

Thanks for all the help guys....you've REALLY helped. I'll let you know when I get my plane and have a chance to madien it. It will be a slo-V.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

The Decathlon is also a 3-channel bird, and I agree, it requires an experienced hand to fly. You'll never be happy with it.

One thing to do is KEEP PRACTICING. That's what it takes. Nothing else will prepare you for the real thing better than hours on the sim.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Dave trimmer

I've been flying the next star on the G3 for half an hour a day for 2 weeks (crashing every 8th landing) and have not flown a plane in real life yet, do you or any one else viewing this message believes that if i buy the next star i will be succesful without an instructor?[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 11-27-2005, 06:12 PM
jjflash

I think you can do it Dave. I flew flight sims and practiced on fms. Started with a slo v and its still flyable after I taught my self to fly with. Went to a 4 chnl next and flew ok with a few minor crashes....trees, picnic tables, etc., still the plane patched up flys good. Actually the plane is easier to land then it is on the sim. Make sure you have plenty of open space and fly high. Make slow turns and practice fig 8's until you get the hang of it. If you get in trouble cut throttle and then try saving it. Slow crashes are usually not ot bad. Let us know how you do.

JJ
Old 11-27-2005, 06:17 PM
jjflash

Ooops I got the next star and easy star mixed up. I think you could fly a easy star ok, not sure what a next star is.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:45 AM
Dr.Watson
My Feedback: (10)

the Nexstar is a nitro .40 sized trainer plane. i say go with a Slow Stick in the fact that you can use the radio system in other planes as you get better. easy to build, fix and fly. also cheap.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:07 PM
ray foley

most sims let you pick different kinds of planes. Pick a trainer type and then spend 40 or 50 man hours practicing. No fair giving up. Yes, it takes patience and practice, tough. Get on with it.

by the by, join an ama affiliated club and get some real flight lessons. It will saves you a ton of anxiety and cash.

Good luck -rjf
Old 12-14-2005, 12:31 AM
Hatty

I learned how to fly by myself, but it was not an easy road. I probably should have gotten a flight sim before I even started. Come to think of it, I should probbaly get one now. But, just stick with it and keep flying trainers until you feel comfy flying the real thing. Do not go to the real thing too early, or else you will kick yourfelf in the butt. Trust me. Even though it is more fun flying the real thing, it isn't fun going how from the field with your airplane in pieces.