Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

How should I prepare my Commander 2 before first flight?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

How should I prepare my Commander 2 before first flight?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 09:31 PM
five-string

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should I prepare my Commander 2 before first flight?

I am getting a Firebird Commander 2 for Christmas. I am completely new to the hobby, have NEVER flown anything.

I have been reading all over these boards, trying to prepare for my first flights. A couple questions, please:

1. Is there any kind of break-in procedure I should do for the motor or batteries? I have seen a little about a water break-in procedure(?) and something about running a battery or two through the motor before flying to lengthen the life or performance of the components.

2. What should I do to beef up this plane, i.e. some have suggested taping the trailing edge (TE) of the wing to protect from the prop in hard crashes. Some threads suggest more tape on various weak spots.

3. If I should do any taping, should it be the clear packing tape or the kind reinforced with nylon threads?

4. Any other info that would help me have a more successful (joyous) first flight experience.

I thank you in advance for any help you can offer. Happy flying.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:19 PM
AJ1202

Default RE: How should I prepare my Commander 2 before first flight?

Five String, first off you should love this little plane, it is a great first plane. I had the original FBC and a freind of mine just bought the FBC2 and I flew it the other day and it fly's great
I wouldn't worry too much about water break in on motor as it would be very dificult on this plane, besides I haven't seen too many problems with it on the FB planes. I would strongly suggest that you cycle your batt at least 3 times before you fly it, this will also help the motor break in. What I did and mind you there are many ways to do this but, I charged battery 1st then hook it up and run motor at 1/4 throttle untill dead, charge it again then 1/2 throttle, charge again and run it about 3/4 throttle till dead, you can nose the plane to the wall and just let it run. I found this works very well and you will have good power and decent batt life on first flight. Taping the TE of wing helps but it won't stop the nicks caused by prop on nose dive crash
Get some very thin rubber from Wal-Mart used for floor rugs in the kitchen, to keep them from sliding around, cut a strip and glue it to the top of the fuse, this will hold the wing and keep it from slipping. The FB is not known for being able to pull hard G's so the only danger to the wing is crashes, I had mine for well over a year and beat it to death before I ever broke the first wing, so relax you should be OK there. The biggest thing to remember is launch it level and at full throttle and once it starts climbing good ease off the throttle so it doesn't stall on you, and try not to attempt any turns untill it is at least as high as a telephone pole. Once there just work the turns gently until you get a feel for how it will react, remember full turn = spiral dive, full turn and full throttle= spiral dive, just go easy and make big slow turns at first
Good Luck and Happy Flying
Old 12-21-2005, 01:14 PM
Leo L

I agree with most of AJ's comments. I also started with a Firebird Commander (before ACT) and its a terrific plane to learn with. I don't know if you need to do a battery break-in: the Ni-Cd batteries needed to be cyled but the Ni-Mh don't, as far as I know, but you should follow the directions from HobbyZone. Packing tape on the back of the wing is a good idea; it will protect the wing from prop nicks if you clip the ground with your wing, and it reinforces the area where the rubber bands cross the wing. Use the clear packing tape.

Make sure that the wing is centered and square to the fuselage. Center the trim tab on your controller and with the palne and controller turned on, check that the tail's control surfaces are level with the tail.

Tips for flying:
1) NO WIND
2) If you want to do ground take-offs, accelerate the plane till it just starts to leave the ground and then turn off the power. Do this several times and see how the plane reacts. The plane will usually have a tendency to turn one way or the other due to torque. If it is consistent in the way that it turns, you can correct your take off for this tendency. My Firebird would always turn 90 degrees to the right. I learned to point it 90 degrees to the left of the direction that I wanted it to take off in. As it would accelerate, it would make its turn and take off exactly in the direction that I wanted.
3) Once the plane leaves the gound, if you do a ground take off, or starts to climb if you do a hand launch, cut the power to from full to 60%. Let the plane level out and then gradually increase power as needed for a slow, steady climb. As AJ said, try not to make any turns until you are at least as high as a telephone pole. When you do make turns, make very gentle ones. Try to make the turns in little increments, returning to straight flight between each increment.
4) Trees are your worst enemy. Stay far away from them until you are well above them. (Trees have a nasty tendency to jump out and grab planes.)
5) The ground is also your enemy. The only time that your plane should be near it is when you are taking off or landing. Most new flyers are reluctant to fly high. That is the biggest mistake that must be overcome as soon as possible. The higher the better. You shuld be flying at least 100 ft. up (think of a 10 story building), but preferably 200-300 ft up. You should be at least 3 times higher than any nearby trees. A tip for judging if you are high enough: if you can throw a baseball as high as the plane is flying, then the plane is too low.
6) Try not to overcorrect the controls. Think of a kid learning to ride a bike or a teen learning to drive a car. At first they are all over the place, but with time and experience they reduce the amount of steering needed to keep a straight line. Same with the plane. The initial tendency is to go full right or full left on the control stick. This causes the plane to spiral out of control. You should not need to move the stick more than 1/4 of its throw. The most critical time is when you are taking off or landing, because the plane will loose some altitude when it turns and if you are already close to the ground, you may clip a wing, causing the plane to crash, if you make a turn at that point.
7) When the plane is flying toward you, the controls will react opposite of your intuition. If you want the plane to fly to your left, you must turn right. If you have access to an R/C car, you can practice this control reversal.

If you have the time and $30, I suggest that you go to Toys-R-Us and buy an AirHogs AeroAce. It is a micro-plane that has 2-channel control, similar to your Firebird. The Aeroace needs very little room to fly and will give you the basics of flight control. It is also virtually indestructable. Check out the various threads regarding the AeroAce on RCUniverse, RCGroups, ********* and Radio Control Zone. Every beginner crashes. Why not let your initial crashes be on a cheap, indestructable plane that you can practice with in your back yard, in front of your house, or in a school yard?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:18 PM
five-string

Aj, I was at Wally World today looking for the AeroAce, sold out for Christmas. I think I will get one and use it to train myself then hand it off to my 9-yr-old son when I start flying the Commander.

Thanks for the info, guys. I will do the things you suggested. Can't wait!!!! I'm like... well, like a kid at Christmas!
Old 12-21-2005, 03:55 PM
lxjoe420

yes you will want to fly high above the trees...lol..... reading this thread has helped me point out my critical newb mistakes on my first flight with my firebird commander 2 .
Old 12-27-2005, 05:57 AM
tims880

NO WIND