Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

interference problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 05:51 PM
1kingbee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interference problems

I have just recently purchased my 1st RC Helicopter, and I'am hooked for life!
I'am also a newbie to this hobby and learning thru trial and error and the help of
a friend who also is in the same boat as me.
Until today, I have allways practiced indoors with reasonable success for the amount of time I have owned it. When practicing indoors I never really had much of a problem with interference.
Today was a very calm day, llittle to no wind etc so I headed for the back yard for my 1st outdoor practice session .I made sure all the controls was in a neutral
position, throttle all the way down. Connected my battery to the chopper, and as I was walking back to get the trans.. she came to life, it didnt lift off but I was surprised to say the least.
Is there anyway to adjust the sensitivity to keep this from happening? In the back yard there is no power lines, nothing I can think of that would interfere. I figured the odds of interference would be greater indoors with all the different electronic devices in the normal household
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ken B.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Bevo

Default RE: interference problems

First did you have your tx turned on before you plugged in your heli? This will cause interference all the time because the rx has nothing telling it what to do. Second interference can happen any where any time and there is little we can do about it. A few ideas to help eliminate problems in the future are 1) dual conversion rx. These rx use two sets of filtering instead of one set of filters. These rx also have more range. 2) make sure your rx antenna is not over lapping itself and in some cases make sure the antenna is completely straighted out or look at a load whip antenna to keep the wire short.

Bevo
Old 01-03-2006, 04:35 PM
1kingbee

Thanks for the reply Bevo. Yea I allready had my Tx turned on and went about it like I have everytime before indoors. The antenna was fully extended,throttle all the way down, all the trims in a neutral position etc..
I'am not sure exactly what a "dual conversion rx " is and how to install or buy such a thing, or what a load whip antenna is. Guess more research and reading on my part is at hand? At anyrate thanks for the info.
And because this thing was acting erratic and thought it may fly away lol.
I had no choice but to attempt to unhook the battery pack while it was doing its own thing.. So my next question is, how can I disconnect the power supply quickly and easily without putting myself in danger of a rotor blade strike in the event this happens in the future? perhaps a mini toggle switch to the battery supply that would allow for a quick disconnect?
At anyrate, thanks again.
Ken B.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another point is to keep the reciever as far away from the ESC as practical.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Bevo

Here is a dual conversion receiver: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCXM8&P=ML

Here is what a loaded whip antenna looks like: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=RVO1010
If your interference happens in the future the other thing you can rally do is like the heli eat itself or get your hands in their and shut it off.

Bevo