Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Explain prop sizes to me please

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Explain prop sizes to me please

Old 01-09-2006, 07:37 PM
lynntonyd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Explain prop sizes to me please

I have my first electric plane ready to go. Its a GP Yak 55 flightflex model that I added a Dymond Typhoon 6 brushless outrunner to. It is listed as 34.5" wingspan and 14-16 oz in the specs. I have a 3 cell 1800mah battery which is a bit big I know. I need to know what prop to use. I bought a bunch so I could play around. The plane is a 3D machine but I can't do any of that. I have been flying glow engines all year and I am pretty good with my trainer and can do basic loops. rolls etc. I'm looking for a prop that won't fly 180 mph or kill the battery in 2 minutes. I want to fly slow and keep the plane in the air. I then plan to learn aerobatics with no fear of crashing my big balsa plane! Here is what I have:

11 x 4.5 (Came with the plane) a 9x4.7 a 9x3.8 and a 10x3.8. I bought a bunch because they are cheap so what the heck. I know kind of what the numbers mean. The large # is the diameter and I guess the second number is the angle? The 3.8's seem much more "flat" than the others.

BUT what does that do in the air? My intuition is that a smaller angle would make less drag and spin faster, maybe give less thrust?

Which one would you use first and why? Then which ones would you move to when I get used to the plane?

Thanks for your input!
Tony
Old 01-10-2006, 12:35 AM
jdetray

Default RE: Explain prop sizes to me please

Hi Tony-

The second number in a propeller specification is its pitch, which is related to blade angle. To quote [link=http://avstop.com/AC/FlightTraingHandbook/BasicPropellerPrinciples.html]an informative web site[/link]: "The pitch in inches is the distance which the propeller would screw through the air in one revolution if there were no slippage."

- Jeff
Old 01-10-2006, 11:09 AM
tf2psycho
Banned

Default RE: Explain prop sizes to me please

i would go with the 11 x 4.5 or the 10x3.8 but i still have to build her
the 11x8 gws slo fly prop worked great on my 15oz 3d yak54f running a 3 cell 1320
thinking about using the 11x8 with park400 and 25 amp esc ,1320li po for the yak55
i think this plane should be great for you i bet you will be prop hanging on your first flight
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54568.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	384863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88395.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	384864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63626.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	109.7 KB