Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Help Landing a Firebird Freedom

Old 01-08-2006, 01:32 AM
dalefletch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Help Landing a Firebird Freedom

Can anyone give me some pointers on landing my Firebird Freedom. I seem to do okay during flight but I always crash it up during landings.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
Old 01-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Help Landing a Firebird Freedom

I presume that you are flying at a decent sized field. With about 2 minutes remaining on your battery start preparing for your landing. Bring the plane down to about 50 ft. above ground and start making a large circle around the field. Slowly cut the throttle, keeping the elevator control at neutral, so that the plane drops about 10-15 ft. with each circle. When it is only about 15-20 ft. up, line up the plane with your selected landing area and cut the throttle completely. When the plane is only a few feet above the ground give a small shot of throttle and pull back a little on the elevator. Then cut the throttle again. The plane should land with no crash.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:23 PM
opquickie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have a FF as my first plane. what i do and have never had a problem doing is keeping the plane in a long straight line during landing.

the only time i have crashed during landing is trying to make a sharp turn too low to the ground. without full throttle this won't work.

what you need to do is slowly circle down staying away from trees etc until you are pointed into the wind and you have a lot of straight away to work with. it's also easier if you are going to land the plane while it is pointing AWAY from you. then just ease it down slowly at low throttle, but don't turn off the throttle until just before you land.

also take off the landing gear, it it crap. only good if it is turf like a football field or something or concrete. just lay it down on it's belly and it'll slide nicely.

main thing is to make sure not to turn once you get low. if it doesn't look good, throttle up and circle around for another try.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:40 PM
dalefletch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the input folks!! I got in some flying time this past weekend and I was much more successful this time around!!

Thanks again!!

Dale
Old 01-14-2006, 02:56 PM
plkracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What you want to be careful about is the throttle. Don't cut it too early, because it will drop. Also, notice that the elevator goes up slightly when the motor is at full speed. It goes down when you kill it. When the motor is slowed down, the elvators will make the plane want to dive. to descend, i have it around 1/2 throttle, and slightly push the stick down, make my turn, push down so it loses some more altitude, then turn into the runway, adn slowly cut the gas. Don't cut the throttle unless you are below 20 ft off the ground. Also, do not push down when you turn, and if you need to, up the throttle some more to keept it level during a turn.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:24 PM
3DSAVAGE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what kind of field do you fly in? if its taller grass it will always screw up the landing... I would say just the same as the others but try to keep the plane barely descending until the plane lands on that last approach.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:55 PM
afoye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi, anyther newbie here... Just spent all morning practice landing the freedom firebird... wish I had read this stuff first! It seems to me the best way not to hurt this thing on landing is to catch it. The landing gear IS terrible, and it will always nose into the dirt when landing... So far I've been able to catch it 3 times out of 10, so i think this is the way i'm going to go... Plus its looks so damn cool!