Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

suggested batt and esc for estarter (help!)

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

suggested batt and esc for estarter (help!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 07:10 PM
garye5007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggested batt and esc for estarter (help!)

O.K. I know this subject has been beat to death! (it's hard to wade thru the hundreds of opinions). but here goes,i'm new to electric flight used to fly glo. I bought a e-starter from a big mail order house came with a eps400c motor pack (D gearing) and i bought their suggested battery,7.2v 600 mAh nicd. and a GP electrifly C-35 mini ESC. i'm hearing good things about the plane but not so good stuff about motor battery combo. so, should i send back at least battery and charger and buy lipos? 2 cell, 3 cell, voltage,mAh ? please excuse my ignorance
with time and advice comes experience (which i lack). thanks in advance for your help!
Gary
Old 01-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Bevo

Default RE: suggested batt and esc for estarter (help!)

I'd send the 7.2 volt battery back and get a 9.6 volt Nicd or Nimh battery. The more voltage will help with performance. As far as lipos go they are a good choice too. I'd good with a 2 cell 1320-2100 battery because the 400 size motors have problems burning out with 3 cell batteries. I got three flights with my 400 motor with that gear ratio.

Bevo
Old 01-25-2006, 08:55 AM
garye5007

thank you BEVO I'll probably go with the nicd or nimh, get 2 packs and save for lipos at a later date!
Old 01-25-2006, 07:28 PM
AJ1202

Gary, I have the E-starter with the 350 geared and I run a 9.6 1050 ma nimh batt and get solid 12 to 15 min WOT flights, I can do 5 consecutive loops after 10 min of flight and still have power to burn, I found the 8.4 does pretty good but if you want good power and duration go with the 9.6, I use a sqare pack and a stick type pack that is 1100 ma, both work great and CG is not an issue for either. You just have to cut out the battery bay some to get them to fit. I am in process of installing a 480 geared in mine, it should really scream then. There are some mods needed to strenghten this bird you might want to consider, LG set up is crap, it will break away with even the slightest hint of a tough landing, mine used to jump out everytime it touched the gound [:@] so it nosed in after that. I cut my LG area deeper then using some flat plastic I shored up the sides then epoxied the gear into that, haven't had a prob since, I used epoxy to strengthen the wing mount area as well because it will tear out if you happen to cartwheel it
the tail wheel also is poor design, same thing I cut area deeper and just epoxied it in, holds great now. I really like my E-Starter and hope to have it for a long time, it's a solid little plane and flys real smooth.
Good luck with yours and good flying
Old 01-28-2006, 05:14 PM
spitmk16

Buy 3 cells lipo. Estarter is not very sensitive to weigth, i added 40 grams lately and notice no difference

I have 2100 mah lipo, and use the same motor as you. And it works perfect.