Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

slinger/mini slinger

Old 02-02-2006, 09:52 PM
bry2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default slinger/mini slinger

I have a slinger and not had much luck with it. If I bought a mini slinger and put my part's in to it, would it be easyier to fly?

Thank's Bry
Old 02-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Bevo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: slinger/mini slinger

The mini slinger might be harder to fly because the plane is smaller so it can be effected by wind more. But since the plane is smaller it will also be lighter so you could have a better chance. If your bigger slinger is still in good shape you could try a 480 brush motor and go to a 3 cell lipo battery that might help.

Bevo
Old 02-03-2006, 01:35 AM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bry2254

I have a slinger and not had much luck with it. If I bought a mini slinger and put my part's in to it, would it be easyier to fly?

Thank's Bry
Just curious what problems you were having with your Slinger. I've only flown mine stock, and while its not a powerhouse, I found it enjoyable to fly.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:29 AM
tommy157
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had problems with my slinger as well. mostly launching as once in the air it was a blast. I went to a 3 cell 2000mah li-poly on the stock 400 motor and it made all the difference in the world. launches with ease and flies great..throttle management is advised as at full throttle it is way to fast . motor will probally burn out after awhile but am enjoying it while it last and i have a spare anyway..brushless inrunner will be my next motor for it...I did beef it up by embedding a carbon fibre rod length - wise in the wing.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, it takes a while to get comfortable launching the Slinger. I was lucky to have a RC glider pilot assist me the first few launches. He was used to hand launching planes.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:17 PM
bry2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, I do have trouble with launching it. I have checked everyting over and over, I think I will take the advice of moving to a 3 cell lip and see what happen's
Thank's for the replies!!!
Old 02-04-2006, 06:52 PM
stockdaddy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wouldn't go with lipo because it will burn out a brushed 400/480 motor. Also i don't see how the CG will balance out. I use a 8 cell 1150 mah NIMH and i still have to add 1/2 ounce of weight towards the front.

I usually get some help or launch over a small hill. I grab it in the back and launch it without power, then go full power after i let go.

When i first launched, it went fast into the ground since the control didn't have enough up to it. It seems they should be just above level with the ground in order to fly level. In in doubt, try adding more than you need.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I launch my Slinger full throttle. I know the stories of people getting prop strikes to the back of their hands.

I'm nervous around things that spin around real fast and chop things up so following through is something I don't have to remember to do.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:31 AM
amitysanimal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a slinger and it pretty much exploded on the first crash. It was even that bad of a crash, from maybe 15 to 20 feet high and nosed in. I have a Mountain Models Magpie and have crashed that far worse and it has never so much as even squooshed the foam. I am looking at getting a Unicorn.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought the Slinger as my windy day flyer, and this week, I got to test it out. Nearest airport 20 miles away was reporting 20+mph winds with gusts to 30.

It was easy launching with that much wind because it was flying right out of my hand. Lacking power though made for a hairy experience getting it to altitude. The unstable air freely tipped the wings but more challenging were the downdrafts. I lost a good 25 feet at one point. Fortunately, I was 40 feet off the ground at the time.

Once up above a lot of the stuff that makes the air go bump, it was a pretty good flight. Still being jostled by the wind, but easily controlled.