Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

4 ch Trainer for cadets

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

4 ch Trainer for cadets

Old 02-08-2006, 08:46 PM
schuh007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 ch Trainer for cadets

I'm with the AFJROTC group at Northridge HS in Utah, and Ive been appointed the new Aerospace commander, so instead of bragging and boring the internet community to death, I just need to find a good reliable 4ch (top or bottom wing) traimer for the corps. Preferably for under $250, its out of my wallet for now. I was also hoping to unplug the alieron servo to help the slower cadets learn with a standard 3 ch set up before they kill this one. It needs to have parts readily available because Ill just pour through parts (especially wings)
And yes, this is in a few other forums
Old 02-08-2006, 11:49 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: 4 ch Trainer for cadets

Have a look at the Ultrafly Cessna 182. (available at the ever-popular Tower Hobbies)

We got one for my dad. Parts availability is good through Tower, etc.

It is styrofoam, and 4-5 channel. (flaps are optional) it is sturdy, and kind of large for this type of plane. (43") For the $80, it also comes with the "expert" wing, which has a thinner airfoil. The really neat thing about this plane is that it flies beautifully with the stock "Falcon 400" power system. I've flown Dad's in up to 15 mph winds.

With the trainer wing, you set it up with a 10x4.7 SF prop. With the expert wing, you set it up with an 8x8E prop.

I've been training him with the trainer cord, and doing very well.

Compared to my T-Hawk, it is much more stable in the air, not to mention prettier.

The one plane I would recommend in your category over the Ultrafly Cessna is the Multiplex Magister. This is a .40 size trainer. It can be set up for either glow or electric power. It comes with equipment for electric. The magic thing about this plane is that it is made of Multiplex's "Elapor" foam. I have a TwinStar 2 that is made of this, and it is just fantastic. It is pretty dense, and VERY flexible.

It is big enough to ROG from a grass field, though just barely with the stock motor. It is much better with brushless power. (though brushed will do for newbs) Right Greg?

I've had a couple of less-than-perfect landings with my Elapor TwinStar 2, and it has taken them both in stride with no so much as a mark.

Give it a look. Do some reading on it. --> http://www.plawner.net --> Reviews --> foamies (I think)

It will handle wind better than the smaller models it is competing with.

One other idea is the Multiplex EasyGlider Electric. It is made of the same Elapor foam that the Magister is, but since it is a sailplane, it won't react as quickly to the spastic inputs from newbies. They will have more of a chance to correct themselves, and YOU will have more of a chance to save them.

Let us know what you end up with.