Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Hi, just another newbie!

Old 02-17-2006, 12:39 AM
pappy45

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hi, just another newbie!

[I am wanting to get started in RC flying. I am going to have to be self taught, I don't have access to a club. I am looking at a T Hawk and I am thinking abouting getting the training wing they have available. Has any tried this longer wong to slow the flight down for beginners? Any advice would be appreciated. It seems like we have some wind here most of the time so I wasn't really looking for s Slol V or Slow Stick.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hi, just another newbie!

As a beginner, any plane that you fly, whether it is a T-Hawk, Slow-V, Firebird, EasyStar,etc. should be flown with virtually no wind. It isn't the plane that requires no wind conditions as much as it is the pilot.

In most places, the best time to fly is the first hour or two after sunrise. The second best time is the last hour before sunset. These are the times that the wind is at its lowest.

If you have never flown before, consider getting an Airhogs AeroAce. Its available for $30 at Toys-R-Us and Target. Wallmart sells it for around $40. The plane is only 2-channel (like the Firebird Commander) and is only 9"long. It is very easy to fly, is virtually indestructable and can be flown almost anywhere: Gym, basketball court, backyard. Fly this plane while you are selecting a "real" plane to buy.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Bmr4life
My Feedback: (45)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Leo L

As a beginner, any plane that you fly, whether it is a T-Hawk, Slow-V, Firebird, EasyStar,etc. should be flown with virtually no wind. It isn't the plane that requires no wind conditions as much as it is the pilot.

In most places, the best time to fly is the first hour or two after sunrise. The second best time is the last hour before sunset. These are the times that the wind is at its lowest.

If you have never flown before, consider getting an Airhogs AeroAce. Its available for $30 at Toys-R-Us and Target. Wallmart sells it for around $40. The plane is only 2-channel (like the Firebird Commander) and is only 9"long. It is very easy to fly, is virtually indestructable and can be flown almost anywhere: Gym, basketball court, backyard. Fly this plane while you are selecting a "real" plane to buy.
Hey, I would also like a new plane and have grown board of my AeroAce. Is there such a thing as a 4ch crash friendly plane?
Old 02-22-2006, 08:58 PM
rchotrod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I recently got the Mini Ultra Stick and it is a blast. And should be freindly enough for rookie thumbs. It does handle breezes, but I wouldn't try it in anything much more than a breeze, 5-10. But it does pentrate the wind pretty good so higher winds probably wouldn't be too scary. LOL It takes standard micro servos and has two options for firewall to fit the type of power used. Brushless outrunner or geared drive.

I fly mine with an outrunner and a three cell li-po, and full house controls. I did the flap mod to the controls and with a 6 channel radio can do anything my thumbs are up to. But it will fly just fine with 4 channel.

It is easy to assemble and easy to transport. Actually if space was really tight, you could even take it apart and put it back in the box. The tail end is a simple bolt on. Simply choose the firewall needed, glue it in(i used thick ca), install electrics, bolt on tail feathers and landing gear and go fly.

I flew it just the other day to test out the flaps and other controls and it flew great. There was a breeze and I could get it to just hang in one spot to let the local hawks come check it out. Then hit the throttle and watch him scoot.

Fun little plane. I have 6 eflight servos $13 each, plane $89, motor+esc $70, 6 channel receiver $55, two 12inch extentions and one y-harness $10. But for 4 channel you could drop off $30-40. Two less servos, and less expensive rx. Plus it will fly good on 2 cell li-po or what ever battery power you have. Lots of room under the nose hatch for gear. Even has a handy velcro battery strap.

This isn't a "cheap" plane, but it would make a great beginners plane if they had help on the first flights to get the trims set. I flew it until it got to the battery cut off and the plane will just glide down gently. Just keep it headed into the breeze.

I don't feel I will get bored with this plane as it has more ability right now than I do. LOL

See ya,
Rod
Old 02-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wouldn't suggest jumping from the AeroAce to a 4-channel plane, but if you insist, check out the BeginAir. It's got the pusher prop configuration, which makes if somewhat crash resistant.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:47 PM
lulubelle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you want a garunteed succesfull first flight, and succesfull first plane, Go with the slow stick. You can easily teach yourself with this plane. flying wings are not the most stable flyers, and i have a feeling that you will have a hard time trying to teach yourself to fly one.
THe worst type of trainer is ANYTHING from hobbyzone. They sell the firebird/aerobird, ect. Terrible trainer. ( I know from expierience)

For example; I had two freinds that wanted to start in rc. They did not want to build, so i told them both to get the parkzone slo-v.(ecactly the same as the slow stick, its just comes wiht everything.) One of them went out and bought it. He is now flying it aerobaticly, and is havinng no trouble.... he's even thinking of movving on. The other guy went to the hobby shop, and they told him to get the firebird. It is now in 2 pieces, dead.....totaly dead. I even had trouble flying it. It has no elevator controll, and will not turn!!!!!!!![:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

anyway, if you want garunteed success, go with the GWS Slow Stick!

Hope this helps!

lulubelle
Old 02-24-2006, 12:50 PM
lulubelle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh... i just read about your wind problem. Every weekend(i have school during the week) i get up around 6:30 am, and i am out flying by 7. WHy? becuse in the morning, shortly after sunrise there is NO WIND. THat is the only time that i do fly. Even at 9, it is dead still. Usually, by noon, we have 10-15 mph winds. If you will consider waking up, that would be the safest, and best choice!

lulubelle.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:53 PM
lulubelle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey, leo l,

I tried one of those airhog things, from target for $30
It is the most fun flying toy ever. Flew it in my friends backyard, wich is a small place, scattered with trees. IT is so fun and easy to fly! And it is impossible to bread, everyone should have one!!!!!!

lulubelle
Old 02-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Bmr4life

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lulubelle

hey, leo l,

I tried one of those airhog things, from target for $30
It is the most fun flying toy ever. Flew it in my friends backyard, wich is a small place, scattered with trees. IT is so fun and easy to fly! And it is impossible to bread, everyone should have one!!!!!!

lulubelle
Definately, I have 2. But not i want a real plane.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:02 PM
TBOLT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anyone have video of flying these WAL MART planes you speak of?
Old 02-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Bmr4life

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TBOLT

Does anyone have video of flying these WAL MART planes you speak of?
I just flew mine around today, I'll have to have my girlfriend tape while I do. But in the mean time, check out the AeroAce Main Thread. [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3368184/anchors_3368184/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3368184[/link]