Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Excel EM 550 Pro electric heli

Old 02-19-2006, 02:24 AM
avitec

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Excel EM 550 Pro electric heli

Has anybody had any experience with this newer electric micro heli or is anybody else interested in it? I have recently acquired one along with all new components and could use all the ideas and/or advise I can get. I am down to just gathering bits and pieces to complete the setup. I could use some advice with the basic electrical setup. I will list what I have below and if you see discrepancies or shortfalls in what I have let me know please. Thanks.

Excel EM 550 Pro - Heli
JR-6102 - Tx
JR 610UL - Rx
Jr-241 - Rec. x 4
CC Phoenix 25 - ESC/BEC
TP 3cell 2100mAh - Li-Poly batt
Electrifly Triton - Charger
Astro 120 - 12vdc power supply
Misc tools, training gear
Old 02-25-2006, 04:27 PM
docatari

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Excel EM 550 Pro electric heli

Excel pro em 550 fixin to rock.. I just bought one and am going to tell you, YOU Have chosen well. My advise nowing nothing about said heli is that power it up with all the cash you have. Watch your gyro, it can destroy your first flight quick (my expieriance). Take your time it cheeper. Don't get over on yourself by hurring on this. Many are on their way.. Just bought mine last night. I can't wait 3 days counting down till I will be able to hold the best heli on the market in my hand... Though, I will always love my LMH heli's, this will be awsom (first come first). Later dood hold in there......
Old 02-26-2006, 12:02 AM
avitec

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm not sure if I made the right choice with gyro I picked. I chose the GWS pg-03. The size and the price of the gyro were right but I think I might have been better of spending a little more on a heading hold gyro, time will tell as I haven't flown this rig yet. When you get your EM 550 I would like to compare setups as this is my first one to build. And also let me know if you find if you find somewhere to buy parts for this thing. For the most part I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:45 PM
highonnitro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey, i just got this helicopter and i think its great, i currently have the futaba heading hold GY240 and it works great, i had to adjust it alot but once i found the sweet spot right before the rudder was hunting around, it was perfect. this helicopter is real nice, i like it becuase im an intermediate flyer and not goin inverted yet so i feel like this aircraft is stable enough for me and not crazy but can easily grow with me as i become more advanced. i also got the carbon fiber blades and they also help it be really smooth. seeya
Old 02-28-2006, 12:37 AM
avitec

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What kind of radio gear are you using in your 550? I am using a JR setup and have little knowledge as to how to set up most of the options. I just got mine built 2 days ago and I already need new blades. Where did you get your CF blades from and if you ever used the original, how do the 2 blades compare?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:11 AM
highonnitro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

CF blades to original ones really wasnt too much of a difference, i notice its slightly smoother and maybe more responsive but nothing more, it just looks sweet and look more precise cuase the blades i got are matched weight from the factory, mine are 26grams but they had some other higher ones, i just simply chose the lightest ones they had cuase i figured they would be the best. fairly cheap also, only $39 at the wram show in new york bought directly from the excel models booth, the lady there didnt speak english well and didn't seem to know what she was talking about, i wanted to talk to her more about different setups but i pretty much have to figure out for myself. I think the heli is nice but the company itself doesnt seem that well established like some others. I hope that more hopups and spare parts become available soon if not then that would just be ****ty. oh well. seeya guys
Old 03-05-2006, 10:13 AM
avitec

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm down one set of main blades, a tail servo, and a main shaft. Not bad for my first few flights [sm=thumbdown.gif].
So I am in the market for a new sub-micro servo, I'll probably do a JR 241 like it had in it. I have ordered a set of CF blades and a set of composite blades all around stock size maybe a little wider. I had a spare heli so the main shaft being bent didn't stop me long but being as it's only a very slight bend I might try to con one of my fabricator guys into straightening it for me. The weather here prohibits outside flight most of the time due to wind and snow (lots of snow) for now and I feel that space restriction is my biggest barrier so far. I need to see if I can use an empty hanger on the weekends or something, that would be perfect. How are you doing with your setup?