Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

3S LiPoly on EPS 400

Old 02-19-2006, 01:04 PM
castlebravo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 3S LiPoly on EPS 400

I'm running a 3 cell LiPo on my Slow Stick with a EPS 400C. I'm running a 10x8 4 blade prop. I've seen other models use a different prop when using LiPo's vs Nixx. Is the prop usually smaller and or less pitch due to the increased voltage. What prop range should I run with combo? I'm thinking about putting a 400 size brushless on this airplane in the near future so I'm not too concerned with motor longevity unless this combo will kill it quickly (like within a few flights) I flew it yesterday indoors and it was alot faster and was much more exciting. What do you all think?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:04 AM
steve ypsi mi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 3S LiPoly on EPS 400

I can't believe you can fly any thing with the 4 blade, if you use a 1060 Hyper drive on that Combo it will fly a lot better, the 3 and 4 blades rob RPM's
And yes you can use a 3 cell with the 400
Old 02-20-2006, 11:44 AM
tommy157
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Isn't the ESP 400C a brushed motor? If so I believe the 3 cell LI-PO will burn this motor out eventually. I tried this on my Slinger and for 6 or so flights it really performed good. then burned out the motor. I knew it would but had a spare motor so decided to try it. I thought I could use throttle management to limit the damage but was having so much fun forgot to let it cool off. The 400 brushless will work just fine as Steve ypsi mi pointed out. The 4 bladed prop might work if you use the right size will have to be pretty small to keep the amps down I would guess. good luck
Old 02-20-2006, 08:37 PM
castlebravo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have flown it with the 4 blade prop. It was adequate and seemed to give plenty of power. I have made a few more mods since trying this. I added ailerons and configured the wing with 0 dihedral. This configuration is a BLAST to fly. Adding the ailerons were very easy. I just epoxied two Futaba 3110 micro servos to the underside of the wing and cut out the molded in ailerons in the wing. I used packing tape for the hinge. The aiplane is very nimble but has the usual slow stick characteristics when landing.
The next thing I want to try is gluing two wings together to create a symetrical airfoil. I think it would make a great 3D trainer. I cant wait to put a brushless on this airplane.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:25 AM
macca68

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All, I am currently flying a GWS E-Starter, it's my second plane. It came with the EPS 400 with 'D' gearing (3:1) Its turning a 1060 HD prop with a TP 11.1v 1700mh Li-Po. I've tried bigger and smaller props but the 1060 suits me best. I get around 15-20 min flights from it. Total now is around 5 1/2 hrs on this motor. If you go to the GWS web site they have all the info you need. At around $15AU replacement motors are cheap! Use it til' it stops I say! Good luck.