Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

T-Hawks and the like versus AeroAce

Old 02-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Bmr4life
My Feedback: (45)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default T-Hawks and the like versus AeroAce

Is there really a big difference in the skill required to fly these planes? I know I'd have to learn elevator control to step up from an AA, but is that a small, medium, or big step? I'm asking because I want to get a more advanced plane and am not sure if it should be 3ch or 4ch. Sad part is I have a FlatOuts Reflection that I bought recently, but that thing seems super duper fragile, I know I'll destroy it into a million pieces.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Barry2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: T-Hawks and the like versus AeroAce

I am not one to answer your question because my experience level is the same as yours. But since nobody else has replied yet, I will pitch in. From what I can gather, we need to be stepping into a 3-ch trainer at this point unless you are going to be trained by someone on a buddy box or are a prodigy with a lot of simulator time. Even with a 3-channel trainer, many board members are recommending the help of an experienced pilot.

However, there are some planes that offer a 3-channel configuration and can later be upgraded to 4 channels. The Magpie is one example.

I would like to jump right into 4-channel flight also, but I ordered an Aerobird Challenger instead. I intend to go it alone since there are no clubs nearby. The Challenger supposedly can be flown like a 2-channel plane at first if necessary (and if it is properly trimmed at the factory). It also seems to be a good enough plane to hold the interest of more experienced pilots for a while.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's not so much the flying that is different, as it is the take-off and landing. Although 4-channel is a lot of fun, it would be a very big step from the AeroAce. Your best bet would be to go to a Slow-V, which doesn't fly that much faster than the AeroAce and doesn't require quite as much room as the other beginner planes. If you don't want to consider the Slow-V, then check out the Firebird Freedom, Aerobird Challenger, T-hawk or EasyStar. They are all good beginner planes, but they fly much faster than you are used to from the AeroAce and require a good size field (you can get away with 400ft.x400ft., but 600x600 is the recommended minimum.)
Old 02-25-2006, 02:11 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your AeroAce is a two channel differential thrust plane. It has no control surfaces. It has no pitch or roll control at all. In some ways that makes it simpler to control as you have very limited control and limited choices of what to do. Like a two wheeler with training wheels.

T-Hawk is a Rudder/elevator and throttle plane. Now you have roll/yaw and pitch control as well as throttle/speed control. In this case you have much more control, but with more control you have to understand more or you can get yourself into trouble. However the T-Hawk would be an excellent step up from the AA. Two wheeler with training wheels removed.

Note that the T-hawk it is much more powerful and larger so it will want more room to fly. An area of about 600X600 feet would be my recommended min area. However along with the power and greater weight of this plane, combined with the more positive control surfaces comes the ability to fly in windier conditions. You can actually push the nose down and fly into the wind more effectively with the T-Hawk than you can with that AA. I would recommend you start out in calm conditions, but as you progress, you will find you can challenge 10, maybe even 15 mph winds with the T-Hawk. The AA would just be a leaf in the wind.

So, more power, more speed more control. More to think about, more responsability, more ways to get yourself into trouble.

Are you ready to take the training wheels off?

Get the T-Hawk! You will love it!
Old 02-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Bmr4life
My Feedback: (45)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks a lot for the great respone, I think I'll be getting a slow stick since I already have a radio setup.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:27 PM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds good.

BTW, you can buy the T-Hawk receiver ready. That means it is all ready to go but without the radio and receiver. You put in your receiver and use your radio.

Great idea!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:18 PM
quando

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can now get a 58 inch training wing for T-HAWK. Allows it to fly slower and more stable. This gives you more reaction time to correct your goofs. Great company and great service. WWW.readytoflyfun.com
Old 03-04-2006, 01:58 AM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That should also make the plane thermal better. Great news.