Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

What AMP do I charge battery with?

Old 02-26-2006, 01:11 AM
spikit_ch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What AMP do I charge battery with?

I'm super confused with this whole AMP setting thing. I just borrowed a buddie's Aerobird Challenger that he has only flown once and charged the battery in my car for 1 hour at 1.2 AMPS and the plane runs for about 30 seconds then loses all power. It doesn't even have enough power to stay in the air. The car charger has a setting from .3 to 1.2 amps. Am I charging it wrong? Or am I not letting it charge for long enough because when I talked to him he said he only had to charge it for 45minutes and it flew for over 10. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: What AMP do I charge battery with?

The HobbyZone/ParkZone car chargers are finicky and often give false readings. 1.2A is the correct setting for charging the Aerobird's battery and the charge should take 40-45 min. The battery should be quite warm at the end of the charge cycle.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:38 AM
spikit_ch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

But I've been letting it charge for an hour and it only runs for 1minute then has no power. What's wrong?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are several possibilities. You could have a bad battery, a bad charger, or a bad speed controller. The easiest to check and correct is a bad battery. Buy a replacement battery (its a good idea to have a spare battery when you go flying so that you can double your flying time). Charge the battery on the charger that you have, using the same setting. The battery should go to fully charged in about 40-45 minutes and should be rather warm to the touch. If the new battery charges fine, then you had a bad battery (I had this happen with my Aerobird and with my Cub). If the new battery gives the same poor flight time as the first, then you should try a different charger. (I also had this problem with my Aerobird.) If the second charger produces the same result, then you need to consider replacing the speed control. In the Aerobird, this means replacing the complete fuselage and runs around $40.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:32 AM
nothinglasts

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my money is on the charger. sometimes if you turn the current down when you start charging for a few minutes, then crank it up after that, it doesn't false-peak so easily.
also keep an eye on the flashing light, it will let you know what its doing without having to wait an hour to find out. Just disconnect and reconnect the battery to reset it and try again.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Barry2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It sounds like your battery is not taking a charge. It may just be a bad battery. They do not last forever and you don't know what kind of life it has had. Charging it hot, storing it in a hot car or crashing it can damage it.

I am not trying to insult your intelligence, but sometimes it is the simple things that cause problems. Are you leaving your car key turned to the accessory position while charging? Does your car have some kind of battery cut-off device in it (like a "Priority Start")? These things would cut power to the charger.

Also try charging it at .3 Amps and see if it fully charges like that. It will take 3-4 hours, but might get you around a false peak detection problem.

You could take the battery and plane to your local hobby shop and ask them about it. They might test the battery or drop a new one in your plane to try and diagnose the problem for you.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Hatty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Check the voltage to see if the whole pack is bad or if you have a problem with just one cell.

On a side note, as you probably know, the higher the amperage, the faster it charges. However, by doing this, you do not "fill" the battery up all of the way. High amps causes the charger to cut off earlier than if you charged with low amps. I'm saying this just to let you know. I would charge fast too, just to get in the air sooner.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:30 AM
spikit_ch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well thanks for all the info guys it all helped. I don't have anything to test the amp so today I just charged it for 5 mins at a time (because the light stops beeping after 5 minutes) and eventually i guess it got all the way charged up. It was actually hot (which is a first). I threw it in the challenger and it flew for a good 10 minutes or so, dropped it back into the charger and charged right up in about 40 minutes. Maybe it just needed to be warmed up. Also when i would plug it in i would go to .3 and then back to 1.2 within the first minute. Works fine now thanks!
Old 03-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Hatty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just remember, a hot battery is an unhappy battery. Warm to the touch is the ticket.