Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Re-use things from RTF ??

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Re-use things from RTF ??

Old 02-27-2006, 04:41 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re-use things from RTF ??

I was looking at some RTF electric planes and am a little unsure because I might want to upgrade later. I didn't know if you could re-use parts from an RTF and if so what parts? I just don't like wasting to much money , so I'm keeping my options open.

Andy
Old 02-27-2006, 04:53 PM
bigB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Re-use things from RTF ??

Which RTF in particular are you looking at?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:22 PM
AJsToyz

A was looking at a couple Global Wattage planes , the Corsair and the Mustang. I was also looking at a Hobbico Sky Pilot. I want to get more of a trainer but it seems most of the trainers are either two or three channel systems. I would like a four channel system so I could use more of the things in another plane if possible.

From Michigan , still cold , but in the morning its very still outside !! LOL Just asking for a little flying action!! Oh yeh , trying to stay with something smaller so I can fly it in my yard , I've got a little room 120 x 300 in front of my house . I've got more in the back , but with the room comes obsticles, Very large unforgiving trees , kids play set , ect. I need to keep close to the house I'm a full time dad during the day , but when the kids are knapping I can get a few minutes in.

Andy
Old 02-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Barry2

That is probably enough room for a beginner with a Slow Stick, which is an excellent 3-channel trainer according to all that I have read about it (I have never flown one myself). You can buy any radio gear you want along with the plane and transfer it to future airplanes. You do not have to get a radio limited to 3 channels to fly it.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:25 PM
steve ypsi mi

either the GWS slow stick or Tiger Moth (small one) even then you would have a tough time in that area you are describing if you are new to it
http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...ce69b38d601cb2

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...ce69b38d601cb2
Old 02-28-2006, 08:19 PM
AJsToyz

Steve,

I've actually got access to a huge field , or several huge fields , but I have two small kids so I'm a little limited to my front yard. I will only get a chance to play while they take a knap ! LOL So , that Tigermoth , do they break easy ? I've seen the sticks are very popular seem to float quite well. I'm really new to electric stuff , not sure about what to get. I guess I'll see if I can download a manual for recomdations on the rest of the goodies for one of these.

Andy
Old 03-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Leo L

Get yourself an AirHogs AeroAce. It's only 2-channel and you won't be able to reuse any of the components, but it costs only $30, is very easy to learn, is an absolute blast to fly, is virtually indestructable, and doesn't need much room ( a gym is plenty of room, so your yard is more than adequate). Once you get used to flying, you can better select a "real" plane that will suit your needs.

You can get the AeroAce at Toys-R-Us, Target, etc.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Barry2

The Aero Ace is a great little airplane, but you should be aware that it basically can't handle any wind at all in the stock form. The only time I enjoy flying mine outdoors is at dawn and dusk. If you are limited to nap time and outdoor flying, you might be frustrated with that one.

But with a little modification (remove lower wings and weight nose) and a little experience, it could handle a calm day, up to 5mph pretty well. In any case, it is very amusing for $30.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:56 AM
AJsToyz

Cool , thanks for the heads up ! Is that something they still make ? I was just checking online and could not find it . I'll check the store and see if they have it in the store only.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Leo L

For some unknown reason, none of the stores list the AeroAce on-line.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:44 PM
AJsToyz

Leo,

I found one guy has them for 39.99 and I am going to go to Toys R us and check.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:35 PM
steve ypsi mi

the Moth is fragile, the slow stick is tough
You are 20 miles south of me, you ought to come up one day and I can show you 20 diffront kinds of planes and show you what you need as far as radio and gear battery,
send me a e mail if you want to, it would save you a lot of head aches
Old 03-03-2006, 07:58 PM
AJsToyz

Steve,

Thanks !! I'll keep that in mind. I'll email you when I know I'll have a little free time.

Andy