Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

servo chatter/throttle fluctuations

Old 03-13-2006, 03:09 AM
pootman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default servo chatter/throttle fluctuations

Hello all,

Newbie to electrics with a question on my receiver choice. I bought a Hitec HFS-04MG single conversion receiver for my new electric park flyer. I'm using hitec 65HB mini's with a hacker A30 motor and a X30 ESC. The batt is a thunderpower 2000mAH 3s1p lipoly.

The first unusual item was that on the receiver (4 channel) the batt/4 channel is the rudder channel. I had to plug the ESC to channel 1 for throttle. I test ran the motor prior to installing my servos (because the servos were back ordered). Everything worked great. I got the servos today and I installed them. Now the servos chatter and the throttle fluctuates. Is it the receiver I'm using? Is it because the receiver is single conversion or are others having problems with this particular receiver? What's the experience with receivers out there that works best for electric park fliers?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: servo chatter/throttle fluctuations

If it worked fine before you added the servos, then I would first suspect the servos. I have several HFS-04MG receivers, and have had ZERO trouble with them.

Pull the servos off, one at a time, until the chattering stops. The servo that stops the chattering is the bad servo. Replace it.

Unfortunately, the equipment necessary to scientifically trace these kinds of problems is prohibitively expensive, and requires a college degree to operate... You have to go to the old fashioned trial-and-error method.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:03 PM
pootman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info. I'll try your suggestion. When I said chatter it might have been an understatement. I initially had just the elev and rud servos connected and everything seem to work fine. But once I connected the aileron servos the whole system went nuts. All the servos were wildly rotating and the motor was varying from low to mid power without any reaction from the TX. Could this be caused by one bad servo?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:21 PM
pootman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Figured it out. It was a loose crystal. When I pulled the wing off, to test each servo, I noticed that the servos jittered everytime I touch the RX. Ops, thought I had the crystal secured. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cool. Sometimes it's the simple things. Glad to hear things are working.

The loose crystal will cause the servos to jiggle, then the servos jiggling will cause the crystal to rattle around even more, which will in turn cause the servos to jiggle even harder, which will.... Vicious circle