Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Second Plane?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 03:22 PM
WJM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Plane?

I am looking for a second plane. I have been flying a Slow Stick and I am looking for a plane with ailerons. I have seen a lot about the E Starter and the Mini Ultra Stick. I didn't know if the MUS would be to much plane, but I would like a plane that will stay with me as my skills grow.

Thanks, WJM
Old 03-20-2006, 02:36 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Second Plane?

Hmmm, don't know about the MUS but it seems that you could get an E-Starter AND a Formosa (or a foamy warbird) for the same price. The E-S is a proven aileron trainer and with extra power and increased rates it could be made a bit more sporty. The Formosa is a good low-wing-trainer / aerobatic plane. You can transfer equipment from the one to the other.

These are not the only options but I have experience with E-Starter and Formosa.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:36 AM
redgiki

You may also want to consider an "elevon" plane, such as the ParkZone Stryker, a Zagi, or other Delta or flying-wing aircraft. Really, it's just ailerons and elevator together, but it's a step-up from a Slow Stick for manueverability and fun-factor. The Stryker even comes in a "ready-to-run" version: all you have to do is add your radio equipment.

This won't give you the "four-channel" feel of something with ailerons, elevator, and rudder, but it will be really fun to be able to roll axially rather than just barrel roll. My Stryker and Wild Wing are still a blast to fly, and I hear the same story from people who have been flying for many years. They're also beautiful because they are cheap and easy to repair.

I hear good things about the E-Starter, but I have never flown one.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:16 PM
ray foley

WJM:

Are you ready to make the jump to serious Epower? If so a Sig LT40 arf with an AXI 412018, 6s lipo of 4000mah, CC phx 60 esc, APC14-10 eprop, would help you make the jump handily. A slightly longer nose gear and main landing gears for prop clearance is the only major change.

Otherwise the same power package and a U-CAN-DO-3D .46 is loads of fun for the intermediate flyer. Check out RCG and RCU posts on these airplanes as Epower conversions.

ttfn -rjf
Old 03-20-2006, 07:09 PM
flyingace451

.46? This is the electrics forum, bro.

I have a Stryker and LOVE IT. Very fun, fast, and agile.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:28 AM
FlyWV

A Flying wing would be your best bet. The stryker is great, but right now hobby people has micro jets on sale for $65 Reciever ready. My second plane is/was a GWS Zero 4ch. It's a big step. I've flown it twice and can tell you that I'm still scared of it. Both flights were about 30 seconds before I panicked and deadsticked it in.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:21 PM
slostick

you could put ailerons on the slow stick. it makes it even better. use a servo extension from the reciever to a y-harness. connect the y harness to a servo on each wing that is servo taped on its side and packing taped to the wing. dubro EZ connectors on the servo arm and the control horn connected by a short music wire. the wing has indentions where the ailerons should be. use packing tape for hinges. tape the loose wireing down. tape the servo connection to the slow stick aluminum tube. a brushless outrunner would complete the upgrade. ready to fly in 10mph winds and let you use ailerons and or rudder with elevator. the dihedral can be left in or when the time is right can be removed to learn that part. bend the aluminum tubes straight and put foam to block the space between the wing halves and re-tape. a second plane would be good too, but the slow stick would be a better second plane with the upgrades when time and money allow. so you could have slow stick upgrades leading the way to learning ailerons and no dihedral and it may save some crashes on a more expensive and better plane.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:22 PM
WJM

I have heard of slowsticks with ailerons, do you happen to have any pics? I just upgraded to a outrunner, what a difference.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2006, 11:56 PM
slostick

no pictures. like the outrunner transformed the power of the slowstick the ailerons would transform the control. i like how the ailerons can instantly level the wings after a gust of wind tips the plane up on a wing tip. before ailerons the rudder many times would have a hard time correcting against the force the gust and the plane would stay with the wing up for seconds as the rudder could not win against the gust.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:48 AM
WJM

Sounds like I have a new project. What is the purpose of the dihedral and what would change when it is taken away and the wing is flat? Do you just cut some foam into a wedge to fill in the gap once the wings are flat?

Thanks again!

Old 03-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Barry2

The dihedral does two things:
1- it makes the plane bank in response to rudder input and
2- it makes the plane tend to return to a wings-level attitude when it is in a bank and there is neutral input. This is referred to as self-correcting.

Removing the dihedral will make the plane a little harder to fly (less stable) but more responsive to aileron input and will hold a bank angle better. Certain aerobatics will be easier.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:22 AM
jcblough

I'm curious about this as well. I'm currently flying a firebirdfreedom and am wondering what to go to next. I was thinking the paekzone cub, but the striker seemd mor fun. Ultimately, I'm looking to build up ny confidence to re-start training on my hangar 9 arrow
Old 04-03-2006, 07:29 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: WJM

I am looking for a second plane. I have been flying a Slow Stick and I am looking for a plane with ailerons. I have seen a lot about the E Starter and the Mini Ultra Stick. I didn't know if the MUS would be to much plane, but I would like a plane that will stay with me as my skills grow.

Thanks, WJM
Four good options:

1) Ultrafly Cessna 182. Includes two wings; trainer & expert. With the trainer wing and a 10x4.7 prop, it flies almost like a trainer. (more responsive and faster though) With the expert wing & 8x8E prop, it is even faster and more aerodynamic. It flies really well and looks almost scale. (no wing struts to fool around with)

2) Multiplex Magister. This is a big boy, but will be flyable in more wind conditions. Also, it is made of Elapor foam, which is a godsend to foamy fliers. It is amazing, the beating it can take. It is also very resistant to hangar rash and doesn't just automatically start looking grungy after a while. Another great thing about this plane is that it is worth upgrading when you're ready. This plane will be more stable than any of the others.

3) Multiplex TwinStar II. This is not quite as big as the Magister. It is sleeker & faster. Due to the faster speeds, it is super stable in flight, and very easy to fly. My Dad's flying an Ultrafly Cessna, and when he tried my TwinStar II, he said it is easier to fly. (admittedly, it is brushless, which has a lot to do with it)

4) Multiplex MiniMag. This is like the Magister, mentioned above, but with a 43" (?) wingspan instead of 64". This is not available in the states yet, so you'd have to order it from Europe or be patient. Even though I've already got a TwinStar II and an EasyStar, I'm going to get one of these babies when they're available.

Look at www.hobby-lobby.com for the two Multiplex's and at www.towerhobbies.com for the Cessna.

The Multiplex's are easier to build.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:25 PM
WJM

Thanks everyone for all the great info. I will check out those sites.