Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Firebird Freedom looping

Old 04-09-2006, 09:41 AM
jcblough

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Firebird Freedom looping

I tried looping my freedom this morning with limited success. My field is a bit short to get up to altitude, dive then loop and have enough room left to be safe. I've been flying it a few weeks, and I'm very comfortable with it, would it help looping if I moved to the lower holes on the control arms on the flaps, or is that just gonna make it more touchy? I'm tempted to do it just so I can turn harder - I'm a bit of a bank and yank junkie, but if it specifically helps looping, I'm definitely gonna do it.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Hellcat1st

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Firebird Freedom looping

If you move to the lower holes it will make the plane more "touchy" but you are still going to need room to get up to speed to loop the plane are you using the upgrade battery more power will be the only was to loop faster Hope this helps
Old 04-09-2006, 11:09 AM
jcblough

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ahh, I'm running the stock 7 cell. 1000 mah. I am charging it at 1.3 amps on my duratrax ice charger for a bit more punch, but I don't know how much help that is. So, even with more throw from the lower holes, it still won't help the loop? I figured w/ more throw it'd get over the stall point on the loop faster and w/ less speed loss, but I have no clue.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

By going to the inner hole on the control horns, it will make the plane more "touchy" because it increase the amount of movement you will be getting on the control surface. It will make your plane capable of tighter turns and capable of tighter loops. Make small movements of the controls, no more than 1/4 of the throw, until you are comfortable with the new set-up.

The size of your field should have no impact on the altitude that you can attain. Most beginners are afraid to take their planes high. You should realize that altitude is your friend as long as you don't go so high that you lose the plane in a cloud. (Don't laugh, I've done that at about 1000ft.!) Try to get the plane 200ft. up, then you will have plenty of room for a power dive to start your loop.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:17 AM
jcblough

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is a limit though to how fast my plane can climb. I'm not comfortable flying it over trees yet(maybe I shouldn't be ever?) I'm I'm in a big field, I got no problems getting up 200, 300 feet and I can do the loop there - well it is more of a dramatic stall, but I guess that's as good as it gets on this thing.

I'll probably move the push rods to the lower holes this weekend and see how it works.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:35 PM
chief illini

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you fly with ACT off, (take it up high enough), it will easily loop! I can even get mine to roll...

chief
Old 04-10-2006, 03:40 PM
jcblough

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can get it to loop if I get it up good and high and dive and blah blah, but I'd like to get it over with a bit more authority.
FYI the hobbyzone guys say that lower hole on the control arms will tighten up the loops. I'm gonna move mine this weekend when I can get to my bigger tree-free fields and give it a shot.

Any other new guys that aren't following The runway Blog over on horizon are missing out. I've been talking with gary for a couple of weeks and any questions I have, he goes to the hobbyzone guys directly. It is really cool too if you are surface rc'er making the change
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1478

How are you rolling it? I've done aileron rolls before but how are you doing it w/ rudder-vators?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Mamou

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I looped my FF yesterday for the first time. But not without incident. I've beaten up the wings pretty good while learning to fly. I finally have the hang of it enough to want to try simple aerobatics. Put the FF in a power dive to pick up speed. Pulled back on the stick and one of my banged up wings just folded. Amazingly rugged plane - had a spare set of replacement wings - put them on and looped on the first attempt. Didn't need all that much dive either. Might try a roll tonight.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:49 AM
jcblough

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got mine reinforced with packing tape - I noticed them flexing too much for my liking over the weekend. Mine just looses steam right before it goes inverted. Are you giving full elevator when you loop?
Old 04-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Get the plane high enough that you will be able to recover from any mistakes. Start with the plane flying level. Push the elevator control all the way forward, going into a max dive, and give the plane max throttle at the same time. Wait a moment and give full up elevator. As the plane goes from its dive into the loop, wait until the plane is starting to go vertical and then crank full right or left rudder. The plane should roll. You can accomplish the same thing at almost any angle, but by first doing it when the plane is going vertical, you give yourself maximum time to recover.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Mamou

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I actually didn't have too steep of a dive. Had a freshly charged battery, full power and pulled the stick all the way back. Leo's right about the altitude. Give yourself some room. I found on my failed attempts that about 100' gave me enough room to cut power and recover easily.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:19 PM
jcblough

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks man, gotta try that soon. Still too much wind here - we've been getting 30 mph gusts all week [:'(]
Old 04-12-2006, 07:36 PM
jcblough

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I moved to the inner holes tonight, all I can say is don't. It did loop tighter, but I also dove steeper so that could be why. It seemed to make the plane either unresponsive or over responsive at the same time, I have no idea how. I'd add gentle rudder to turn and it wouldn't respond, give elevator and it would snap around too much. The freedom's tendancy to drop the left wing was even more exaggerated. . . I'm going back to the stock positions. Every "landing" ended up being a low left wing spiral of doom no matter what my trim. Maybe the holes are there from a reuse part from another model, but it seems the freedom has no use for them at all as best as I can tell. I can't wait to retire this thing.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Zip tie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you would like to retire the bird get a slow stick. You can do loops like crazy

Did you use your trims also to help level the plane?
Old 04-13-2006, 09:19 PM
jcblough

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, no amount of right trim would level her off.
I'm hoping to get a stryker end of this month. I do want a slow stick as well - just need a good radio first
Old 04-15-2006, 10:42 AM
Mamou

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My FF was pulling hard to the right instead of the left. Trimmed left all the way and it was still very tricky to fly. Took a good look at it this morning and noticed that the tail section was loose. (I removed the tail wheel about a week ago). Tightened up the tail and it flew like an angel - even in a slight breeze. Did a celebration loop.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:08 PM
elgreko

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have had problems with my freedom turning left it has crashed 3 times. the 3 times it went down i was bringing it in for a landing. i have since read an article about the freedom it tends to loose altitude when turnig left.
i bought new wings ,have yet to fly the plane.is there any thing that can be done to alleviate this problem??????????????

elgreko

it has a tendrs
Old 04-17-2006, 07:30 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Freedom needs a fairly high speed to keep from stallinig, so when you are bringing it in for a landing make sure that you have plenty of room and give it a long, fairly fast final approach.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:04 AM
jcblough

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dead on. . . I got my freedom into a slower final approach this weekend, then a good gust of cross wind came up and off into a tree it went. The plane responds flat out poorly at lower speeds, if it doesn't stall.

I got a new tail and wing on this weekend - lucked out and one of my lhs's had one. haven't flown it again. Hoping it'll fly better, the others were getting a bit weak and flexible.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:16 PM
wpc51

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the Aero Bird extreme, Park Zone P-51, Typhoon and the freedom bird . I have to say that the FB is one of my favorites, it loops rolls.hammerheads and of course some unexpected moves that are caused by my crazy inputs.. I think the aero bird extreme is actually a better trainer as this is the one i started with. The FB to me is a bit twitch-e even without any wind.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:48 AM
hellyeh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Take your Freedom to the next level and build a Coroplast pro-tail . It will roll and fly inverted with no problems at all . Be ready though , because it makes the plane REALLY responsive . You think it's a twitchy sucker now , try the pro-tail .
Old 08-03-2006, 03:03 PM
elgreko

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

a little late where can you get coroplast pro- tail ? elgreko