Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Looking for a good re-entry trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Looking for a good re-entry trainer

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 06:25 PM
corsair29bd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a good re-entry trainer

My friend wants me to get back in to the hobby

I have owned and flown 2 Cox 2ch planes (Cub and 29 XB jet) and took a few lessons with a megatech airstrike

I have not flown in 5-6 years

I have lots of RC Car experience and Fundemental knowladge of Aviation (my dad works for Lockheed Martin )

The question is whats a good plane to get back in heres the parameters:

1.Electric RTF
2. under $150
3. good match for skill and potential for advancement
4. looks and performs
5. quality

Heres my list so far

Sky Fly Hobbico : http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../hcaa1961.html

Sky Pilot Hobbico: http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../hcaa1985.html

Fly Zone Hobbico: http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../hcaa2010.html

Super Star Hobbico: http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...co/hcaa14.html (Im not sure about balsa, i want some durability)

Wattage Cessna: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGDW6&P=0 (good reveiw for this one on RCU)

Im open for sugestions.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:33 AM
Leo L

Default RE: Looking for a good re-entry trainer

Check out the Aerobird Challenger by HobbyZone. The price has recently been dropped to $109. Its a terrific flying plane, very rugged, with plentiful spare parts availablity on line and in most hobby stores. If you decide to buy one, don't bother with the "sport mode" and go right away with the "pro mode". You'll have much better control of the plane. Eventually, when you get very comfortable with it, you can make a simple tail modification that greatly boosts its performance. You'll be happy with this plane for quite some time.

Meanwhile, while you are trying to decide what to get, go to Toys-R-Us, Target, etc. and get an AirHogs AeroAce. Its a small 2-channel plane that is an absolute blast to fly. You already know how to fly 2-channel, but this one is so easy, that your friend will be able to fly it on the first try. Its virtually indestructable and only costs $30. You get about 12 minutes of flight time per charge and its an absolute blast. Everyone from beginner to expert loves it. Then you can be enjoying flying right now, while you take your time to decide which "real" plane to get.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:44 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I like the Art-Tech Cessna 182 (also known as the Parkflyers Cessna 182).
4 channel RTF for around $130 -- Looks great
Also available in PNP (you put in your own electronics) for around $60 or so, I think.

Check them out at www.awlhobbies.com and www.parkflyers.com

Old 04-18-2006, 05:57 PM
corsair29bd

ORIGINAL: jmir

I like the Art-Tech Cessna 182 (also known as the Parkflyers Cessna 182).
4 channel RTF for around $130 -- Looks great
Also available in PNP (you put in your own electronics) for around $60 or so, I think.

Check them out at www.awlhobbies.com and www.parkflyers.com

I really like this plane form what i see

Concerning the 3ch (or general characterisitics) how good does it fly, is it forgiving enough to let me back in unscathed?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Barry2

The first suggestion I have is that you consider your motivation:
ORIGINAL: corsair29bd
My friend wants me to get back in to the hobby
If it is your friend and not you that wants you to get into the hobby, then fly his airplane.

If it is you that wants to get into the hobby, then I would suggest getting a computer model flight simulator, even a free one like FMS. That will knock the cobwebs off. Then get any 3-channel trainer.

The Sky Fly you found is looking like a good model at a good price. The radio range is officially only 500 feet, though. But I suspect that is conservatively estimated.

The Aerobird Challenger mentioned above has been a standby for a lot of beginners.

A couple others to consider: The Slow Stick is probably the most recommended trainer, with the Easy Star being a close second.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:53 PM
corsair29bd

Ive been doing FMS for over 3 months i can fly anything on it I bought an E-Starter my local club swears by them. Because of their vast knowaldge with the plane and wide availability i chose it. Im getting a free 7ch JR from my friend. I chose to go with a lipo setup after flying a few times with my friend .40 glow trainer. Im going to build and maiden by next weekend, Im really excited. Thanks for the help and sugestions.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Leo L

Good luck! Let us know of your progress.