Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

New pilot needs flt. plan advice

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

New pilot needs flt. plan advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 09:13 PM
jluther

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New pilot needs flt. plan advice

Flying an Estes XB-39 AWACs with fan jets and no rudder or elevators. Focus is on this plane only for now. I can launch and and gain altitude, fly upwind and make several revolutions around large field. I've only brought it down gently 3 out of some 10 flghts. I crash while attempting to turn into an approach. Can't break out of a turn where my wings are 45° and altitude under 50 feet. I think I need a "mind-set" like a set of rules for this plane. Don't ever do so and so, stay in these parameters, you need x air speed with x feet of turning radius and x altitude. Will probably go through two planes learning the hard way. Looking for flight plans.
Thanks,
Jerry
Old 05-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Leo L

Default RE: New pilot needs flt. plan advice

I couldn't find your plane on the Estes web site so if you could provide a link, or give a more detailed description of the type of controls that you have, it would help in answering your questions.

Basically, when you set up for a landing, you should pretty much be gliding the plane in until the final approach and touch down. When I decide to land my plane, I usually cut all power and let it glide down until about 20 ft. up, then apply enough throttle to keep the pane flying level until the final approach. Once the plane is lined up with the landing area, reduce throttle so that the plane gently glides down. Give a little power burst just as it is about to touch down to lift the nose so that it touches down at a horizontal position. As you begin your landing, all of your turns should be very gentle, with minimal banking. 45degree banking is certainly way too much for a landing approach. When the plane is flying toward you, you have the control reversal to deal with. Just think of "supporting the lower wing" to level tha plane out.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:53 PM
jluther

Thanks for taking some time with this Leo. Here is the link to the Estes model I'm working with.
http://www.estesrockets.com/cgi-bin/...s.cgi?view,627
It is totally controlled by the two fan-jet engines, which I think I over run and tip the wings to high against the wind, forcing it down into a dive.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:12 AM
Leo L

The plane is a very simple 2-channel plane, using differential thrust for steering; and speed for controlling lift. The controls are very easy to learn and the plane should be relatively easy to fly, but the plane will not be very responsive and must absolutely be flown when there is virtually NO WIND. If you are trying to overcome wind, you increase the plane's speed, which causes it to increase lift, which gives the wind more surface area to act against, further lifting the plane (like a kite). This becomes a Catch 22 situation.

To land this plane, you need PLENTY of room. The field should be at least 600ft.x600ft. with no obstructions. To land the plane, start a large circle around the entire perimeter of the field. Slowly decrease the plane's speed until it looses about 10-15 ft. of altitude each time that it passes you. Maintain this speed until the plane is about 20ft. up. Gently increase power until the plane is flying level and keep it at this altitude until you make the final turn and are lined up with your landing strip. Once the plane is flying straight, cut the throttle completely. The plane will start nosing toward the ground. When its about 5 ft. up, give a short burst of throttle to lift the nose so that the plane is horizontal, then cut the throttle again. The plane should settle down in a good controlled landing.