Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Firebird Freedom modification

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Firebird Freedom modification

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 04:06 PM
nashu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firebird Freedom modification

Hy everybody!
I will star by saying - sorry for my English, it is not my native language.

I'm a newbie, and just got my second plane - FF.
First flight was OK, but second flight ended up in a very high tree,
just got it from there this morning ... In 1 piece! Yesss!
Last night engine responded, commands also, but in the mid-time it rained, hope everything will be OK after it drys.
What went wrong ? Well after the first launch it was going straight, after the second it was pulling hard left, and I don't know why... everything seems straight, the tail, wings OK...
The main cause of the second flight ending in this very tall tree is wind + the fact that the plane wast going hard left, so I ended up seeing the plane somewhere very far, among some houses . I don't like it is going so fast so what I was thinking is to modify this plane to make it a little more for my taste, transforming it to a biplane.
I attached a picture with what I have in mind.
The second wing should be identical to the original freedom wing, and between the plane and the second wing should be piece A.
I would like your opinion on :
1. how to make piece A
2. how to glue it to the body of the plane - the blue line on piece A
3. do you think I should need to put something between the 2 wings like in all biplanes or not?

And of course I'd like your argument-ed opinion on the idea of making a biplane out of this toy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24878.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	445812  
Old 04-15-2006, 08:18 PM
one2lose2

Default RE: Firebird Freedom modification

Get a slower plane to learn on then you will love the speed. Leave that plane for later.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:25 PM
nashu

Come on no one has anything encouraging to say for this project?

In the mean time I have a lot of ideeas for how to make piece A
Old 04-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Leo L

I really like your creativity and your enthusiasm, but I don't think your project is the correct choice for you at this time. You are a new flyer and the most important thing for you to do is to learn how to fly. Once you really know what you are doing, your modification for the Firebird Freedom will be something interesting for you to try.

Right now when you fly your plane and the plane does not respond to what you want it to do, you don't know if the plane is at fault or your skills are at fault. You are having this problem with a plane that has been well designed and well constructed for a beginner, although it probably needs some fine tuning. Making a major change to the plane will drastically change its flight characteristics. It could become a much better plane, it could still fly in a similar manner, or it could become virtually unflyable. You probably need a good six months to a year of experience before you begin this project.

If you feel the plane is too fast for you, set it aside and get yourself a Slow-V. An absolutely great plane to learn with. When you are very comfortable flying the Slow-V, go back to flying the Freedom. Then advance to an intermediate like the Cub or Decathlon. When you are comfortable flying at the intermediate level, you will be ready to experiment with converting the Freedom to a bi-plane.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:50 AM
nashu

I flew like 30-45 minutes today, I'm getting a bit more comfortable with the commands, but last night I talked to a friend, and we planed a detachable piece A , so the plane could becom either mono or bi -plane Anyway, more study is needed. Or maybe it will wait a little as you said.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:55 AM
ryan_m

I was actually wanting MORE power/performance out of it...
Has anybody replaced the motor with something a little more powerful? Or converted to Li-Po's to conserve some weight?
I am a bit new to electric flying but have loved the FF so far.