Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Cheap 4-channel RTFs from e-bay

Old 05-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cheap 4-channel RTFs from e-bay

Does anyone have experience with the cheap (less than $100) 4-channel RTFs being sold on e-bay? There's a Mustang, a Zero, a Spitfire, a T-34 Trainer, and a Pitts Bi-plane. They look like they all come from the same factory (probably in China) and appear to have the Art-Tech transmitter. From personnal experience with the Cessna I know that the Art-Tech electronics are not very good, but if the rest of the plane is decent, it might be worth buying and replacing the receiver. Any comments?
Old 05-21-2006, 01:54 AM
Hatty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Cheap 4-channel RTFs from e-bay

I've looked on Ebay a couple of times and every time I do, it's the same junk. I have yet to find a good aircraft on there. Now, I'm not saying that the one you found itsn't good, but use caution when buying one of these. I would rather just spend a little extra money and get a plane from a company that won't sell me something that will crash and burn on the first flight.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:45 AM
tony_l

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought the Laishing Spitfire off Ebay, it sounds like one of the models you mentioned, it's 4 channel, electric and RTF. It flies very well, though it is no beginners model, as soon as it comes out of the wind it can side slip dramatically, it is also a pig to land, you have to keep power on and fly her down, otherwise she will stall or slip on you, she has no real wind penetration capability. Having said that, I get 10 - 12 minutes of flight and she is very rewarding to fly and looks good. The radio gear is ok for the price, the servo's are noisy and a bit glitchy but for the money you can't complain. Anyway I liked it enough to order one of the other models, and as I said value for money wise it's brilliant!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:12 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tony,
The Laishing Spitfire is exactly one of the planes that I was looking at. Thanks for the comments. The e-bay price makes it seem too good to be true. I'm glad that you like the plane. Now I just need to decide between the Spitfire, Zero and Mustang.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:21 AM
tony_l

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good Luck Leo,

Let me know how you get on

Tony
Old 06-25-2006, 06:27 PM
bnoblet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Leo,

Just wondering if you ended up getting one of the Laishing planes, and if so how you found it?

Thanks
Ben
Old 06-26-2006, 07:05 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was all set to get the Zero, but then my wife bought me the ParkZone Typhoon for my birthday. I think that i will eventually get the Zero or the Spitfire, but for now I'll be "playing" with the Typhoon.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:19 AM
bnoblet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice, the Typhoon is certainly a step up!

Old 09-19-2007, 10:41 PM
yarrumevets

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tony_l

I bought the Laishing Spitfire off Ebay, it sounds like one of the models you mentioned, it's 4 channel, electric and RTF. It flies very well, though it is no beginners model, as soon as it comes out of the wind it can side slip dramatically, it is also a pig to land, you have to keep power on and fly her down, otherwise she will stall or slip on you, she has no real wind penetration capability. Having said that, I get 10 - 12 minutes of flight and she is very rewarding to fly and looks good. The radio gear is ok for the price, the servo's are noisy and a bit glitchy but for the money you can't complain. Anyway I liked it enough to order one of the other models, and as I said value for money wise it's brilliant!
Tony - I don't suppose you remember where the CoG is supposed to be for the LaiShing Spitfire do you? I've got the ARF version and was going to make a few alterations, when I reaslised that nowhere in the "instructions" does it specify where the CoG should be.
Cheers,
yarrumevets
Old 09-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Measure the wing at the root (next to the fuselage). Mark 1/4 of the distance back from the leading edge and 1/3 of the way back. Your CG must be between those two marks.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:02 PM
yarrumevets

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Leo - what you say rings a bell in the deep, dark recesses of my memory somewhere too.
Cheers,
Steve