Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

First Flight [Firebird Freedom]

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

First Flight [Firebird Freedom]

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 07:24 PM
packyj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Flight [Firebird Freedom]

Just now finished my first flight in my new firebird freedom. First plane, first attempt, and yes first crash. Went through two full batteries with a broken tail horn, a little bend in the tail wing just above each side of the tail brace (don't know how bad that is yet) and a couple of neglegible wrinkles in the wings. By far less than ideal conditions with just a hint of sprinkle in the air and maybe 10 mph breeze.

I must say that they're not joking when they say to take more open space than you think you'll need. That little guy really likes to move when he gets up in the air. Off to the rc store tomorrow to fix the damage done. Shouldn't be bad. All in all I'm extremely happy given this being the first time out and I still own a plane

Patrick
Old 05-17-2006, 08:16 AM
Leo L

Default RE: First Flight [Firebird Freedom]

Congratulations on your first flight! Make sure that the tail is working properly. Sometimes a crease that doesn't look like anything substantial can really screw-up the plane's flight ability.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:53 PM
packyj

Thank you for the support Leo. I'm heading in to the rc store in about an hour so I'll probably take it with me and let them be the judge. At any rate I half expected to destroy the thing my first time out so I'm still fairly impressed with the gentle learning curve involved. I have a healthy background with aeronautics but to be honest the controller was a little scary at first.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:29 PM
chief illini

it is hard to do, but make sure you make yourself wait until there is less wind....it is by far the #1 reason for newbies to crash...

Have fun, and give your self plenty of room. You will get it, the Freedom is a tuff bird..

chief
Old 05-17-2006, 04:35 PM
packyj

thx chief... from illinois you understand what we've been suffering through this last couple of weeks... i think a bent tail has cured me of my initial itchiness to get out there and give it a shot... hopefully by this weekend this weather will clear up for all of us
Old 05-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Leo L

Keep in mind that the best time to fly, meaning least amount of wind, is immediately after sunrise or just before sunset. Most people don't like to get up early, but if you want to give yourself the best shot, make the sacrifice. I have to be at work by 7:00AM, so I'm up early anyway, but I find that most mornings I can get in one or two flights on my way to work.

The last couple of weekends I would start flying around 6:30AM with virtually no wind. By 8:00AM I would have to pack it in because there would be too much wind to continue flying.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:08 AM
packyj

I'm usually running out the door at full tilt for work first thing in the morning but I'll keep that in mind.

Anyone know if there are any "prop saver" products that would work with the firebird freedom? Looking at how most of them connect it looks as though it wouldn't work with the plastic props that are sold for the FF.