Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Bigger E-starter

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 01:17 PM
surjer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger E-starter

Hello all,

I have been flying a SuperCub for a while now and I really really enjoy it. I would like to start on another plane (preferably ARF) that will have 4+ channels. I was really considering the E-Starter but its quite a bit smaller than my SuperCub and I really want a bigger plane.

Can you offer suggestions on models that look like the SuperCub / or E-Starter style planes that are a little bigger? Preferably 50"+ wingspan. Would like a plane with at least 1 deg Dihedral. I like how easy these types of planes are to fly. P

Old 07-05-2007, 07:16 PM
ozrcboy

Default RE: Bigger E-starter

Hi Surjer,

As planes get bigger their weight goes up alarmingly quickly and being heavier the crash results tend to get worse. 50" on a scale plane is pretty big for a beginner training themselves.

Still - if that's what you intend to do people say the Multiplex Magister is a pretty good trainer. It's a bit bigger than you asked for - around 60", weight in at 5.5 lbs. Probably too big to fly at the park, and you'll need to do some fancy footwork on batterys - joining 2 3s high volume packs is probably the cheapest way to get good flight time.

However, the 40" mini magistar (smaller brother of the plane above) might be a great plane. A little smaller than what you asked for, but definitely a park flyer, ahs ailerons, looks like a real plane, is built of tough elapor foam:

http://www.multiplexusa.com/models/P...rs/minimag.htm

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Leo L

The Mini Magistar (Minimag) is definitely one of the best planes to learn 4-channel control.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:00 PM
surjer

THanks for the advice guys! I'm glad you mentioned the bigger planes would fall harder. (That never crossed my mind) Doh!

Anyways - I might just go ahead and get the E-Starter as its pretty cheap and seams to be a decent trainer plane. I really do like that MiniMag too. I like it alot better than the E-Starter but the price difference is just too grand. Wish there was a side by side comparison of the two planes so I could see the differences spelled out...

Thanks again

Jerry
Old 07-06-2007, 06:28 PM
surjer

OK - well, I was looking at the RTF price on the minimag.. OOPS! Seams they are only about 30 bucks different in price. I want to go with a brushless setup but Im not sure what would be best..

Guess I will head to the LHS and have them work me up a system?
Old 07-06-2007, 08:41 PM
ozrcboy

ORIGINAL: surjer

OK - well, I was looking at the RTF price on the minimag.. OOPS! Seams they are only about 30 bucks different in price. I want to go with a brushless setup but Im not sure what would be best..

Guess I will head to the LHS and have them work me up a system?
There's a couple of minimag flyers on the Park Flyers - Australian BBQ and Beers thread (don't ask) - friendly guys. If you ask there I'm sure someone can tell you a good motor match. But your LHS should be able to help too.

As you get more experience in the future you'll be able to size these things up yourself, and you can get some very cheap brushless setups, but for the moment the help of your LHS might be useful.

Anyway, feel free to drop by the online BBQ - no you don't have to be an aussie.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6039260/tm.htm

Cheers,
Oz.