Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

help....

Old 06-18-2006, 03:44 PM
z12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help....

hi, i have recently bought a flying wing with a 480 brushed motor with a 7 cell nicad, however i want to change this to a brushless motor but don't know where to begin with it all, what can you sugest as an upgrade, a link to a certain product would be very good, i also need a speed controller and lipoly cells and charger, please help. thanks.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:10 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Default RE: help....

If you post some stats about your plane it would help us figure out where to begin.

- For starters, you can state the name/brand of the plane incase someone familiar with one
- The weight of the plane (if you don't have a scale, just say what the manual says)
- Maybe the wing surface area (sq. ft.)
- And if possible, wing loading oz. / sq. feet).

With that information, members here can get a better idea of what plane you're dealing with. Look around the forums and see if someone else doesn't have a similar/same plane as your's and see what setup they have. Is your plane by chance the Parkzone F-27 Stryker? If so, look in the Park Flyer forum for a thread dedicated to it

From limited personal experience, and just as a wild guess to start things off, taking into account the 480 motor and 7-cell pack you mentioned, I *think* you can try an Eflite 480 outrunner (I think the higher KV version puts out ~275-300 watts?) (do they make an inrunner version?) with an 11x7, 10x7 or 9x7.5 prop (APC brand) or (smaller prop if using a regular inrunner brushlessmotor) to give you the speed you would need assuming that the larger prop diameter clears your wings at the rear, at least 25 to 35 amp brushless speed control that can handle li-po's. I don't have experience with lipo batteries, but I know you'd want to get a 2 or 3-cell that can accordingly discharge 30 to 40 amps which will safely provide the said motor with enough amps, and be the right size/weight.

My suggestions may be waaaay off base, but I thought I'd share some info to get you pointed in the general direction.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:40 AM
z12

wing area- 2.8 sqft
weight-800g

it is a jp 480-si

thanks.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:10 AM
z12

sorry weight is 600g
Old 06-19-2006, 01:28 PM
z12

would this be any good? http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.u...0-%20Brushless
Old 06-20-2006, 02:11 AM
Slo-V Flyer

From I understand, that motor you posted the link to may be a bit .. "overkill." It's supposedly an equivelant to a .20 size glow engine!

Though you have the right idea as far as a high rpm/volt and small prop size. However, according to the information you gave about your plane, I think you should look for a smaller motor. If my calculations are correct your plane might be about ~22-24 oz. or about 1.5 lbs, but with a wing area of ~403 sq. inches, that comes out to a wing loading of ~8 oz./sq.ft. (from my experience, capable of flying at low speeds ~12-15mph).

Since you said it's a flying wing design, I'd go for a speedy setup, something similar to that motor you posted, but designed for 'smaller' planes around 16-25oz. weight, and not necessarily as "amp" hungry of a motor (maybe 15-25 amps with a 5 to 7 inch prop using a capable 7-8 cell Nimh or 3 cell Lipo pack should be fine). But wait for some one else more knowledgeable to respond before making any final decisions.