Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Flight No 1 - classic mistakes but fun!

Old 06-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Podrelease

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Flight No 1 - classic mistakes but fun!

Well, one seriously eventful day.
Totaly glad I bought the Aerobird Challenger and i did'nt use the Xtreme,

First the bad:

Flew in too strong a wind for a beginner - To me it felt like medium breeze, but the bird (ok, my controlling) struggled.

I managed to lose my bearings on every single attempt - Hit 3 trees and managed to get it in 30ft tree - around 25 ft up - if it was'nt my older brother who was re-living his childhood flying models, climbing up, that would have been a lost plane ( I had over 600ft square - but again, lost visual on whch way I was turning and the reaction felt really stilted.

I lost the canopy and damaged the wing in many places - all repaired with tape.

WORST OF ALL, I had to fly in a Heath that was being used by flyers who were perfoming exceptional 3D stunts and manouvers with there planes and Copters - so simply put, I looked like a sad newbie/wannabe.

The Good:

My first flight was great! I managed to take off, retain composure and control of the plane gradually gained altitude and did two huge ovals before glinding it down and pretty much gently lowering into the long grass. I found it a sublime experience. Shame it all totally messed up after that.

One thing I found is that the flight responses were so slow and belated - that some of the damage and problems would have been avoided if I had a more direct control ( I had Reflex XTR for around 8 months some time ago, and I had good control over alot of the models - I know it's not 'real', but I expected similair reactions - time to turn off sports mode.

Well, tomorrow is gonna be round 2 (just got ta new canopy to make), lets hope it better.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Flight No 1 - classic mistakes but fun!

Stay away from Sportmode. The plane flies very poorly in that mode. The plane is a totally different experience with the ProMode. You'll love the way it performs.