Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Slow flyer trainer to complement FB freedom?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Slow flyer trainer to complement FB freedom?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 02:21 AM
redpen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow flyer trainer to complement FB freedom?

Hi Guys,
I'm looking for a bit of advice about buying a second electric training plane to complement my Firebird freedom. I got the rc plane bug after being given a 2 ch "toy" plane for Christmas, having had a great time with that I thought I step up a gear and bought my self a FB freedom, with the idea that I could teach myself to fly. I must say that I love the freedom, its not been the easiest thing to fly and a I've had some spectacular crashes, but its a tough bird and spare parts are relatively cheap and easy to find. The thing is I live in Cambridge (in the UK) and getting to the nearest open space large enough (and quiet enough) to fly the freedom is a problem and consequently I haven't been getting as much stick-time as I would like (or need). I do however live near a reasonably large park (400 x 250 feet of open space) which I think should be OK for a slow flyer. I was thinking of getting the Parkzone Slow-V, its had some great reviews and I've found a good offer on one from an online store. However, I'm sure that I'm going to continue with this hobby and am wondering if it would be better to buy something with a transmitter and other parts that I could continue to use in the future with more advanced planes. I've not got any building experience and only a little knowledge of electronics, but I'm willing to try a simple self build.
Any suggestions?
Cheers!
Jim
Old 06-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Leo L

Default RE: Slow flyer trainer to complement FB freedom?

Basically, you are following the same path that my son followed. He got the flying bug last summer when he tried my wife's AeroAce. We bought him his own AeroAce and he loved flying it. At Christmas, we bought him a Firebird Freedom, based on the manufacturer's claim of how good a beginner's plane it was. He flew it several times, but quickly realized that it is not a good beginner's plane, and he was not comfortable with how fast it had to be flown to keep from stalling/crashing. Eventually, we bought him a Slow-V, which he loves to fly. Recently, he moved in with his girlfriend, and the only decent flying field near his new location is similar in size to the one that you describe. He has flown there several times and although he would prefer the comfort of a much bigger field, he says that the Slow-V is fine for that area.

If you want to get a plane that uses standard components, that you will be able to switch to a different plane later on, consider getting the SloStick. It flies very much like the Slow-V, but you supply the electronics, which you can re-use later on. However, by the time that you figure in the cost of all of the needed electronics, the SloStick winds up to be about $100 more expensive than the Slow-V.

I know that a lot of fliers put a lot of stock into being able to re-use components. However, If you think that you might want to keep the slow flier as an extra plane when you eventually move up, the re-useable components cease to be an issue.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:53 PM
redpen

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll get the parkzone Slow-V and save the self build for later. My only slight concern looking round the internet is lack of online stores in the UK that stock spare parts for the Slow-V. Even the online stores that sell the Slow-V don't seem to stock spares. Has anybody got a suggestions for a good online store in the UK for parkzone spares, alternatively any good tips for bullet proofing a Slow-V for those inevitable hard landings?
Jim
Old 06-15-2006, 05:11 AM
kulgan

IMHO if you are serious about the hobby you should get the Slow Stick (or another slow flyer) and the individual components. I built a SS and I'm a newbie, its not that hard and I learned some things in the process. Nothing against the Slo-V but buying a decent radio and other components will serve you much better in the future.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:44 AM
Leo L

The Slow-V is remarkably rugged. If you decide to get one, I would advise you to order a couple of spare props and a couple of replacement gearboxes. The gear box usually takes the brunt of any crash, saving the motor and the rest of the plane from serious damage. The bracket that holds the servos is anchored to the main frame with a tiny little screw. If you have several "rough" encounters with the ground, the screw becomes dislodged and the servo bracket has a tendency to move. I suggest replacing the tiny screw with a larger one. I would also order the 7-cell optional battery. The plane is a lot more fun with the extra power. The transmitter lets you choose between low rate and high rate for the controls. Don't bother with the low rate; it limits the control surface movements to the point that flying the plane becomes more difficult, not easier. Start directly with the high rate. Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:28 AM
redpen

Looks like my choice is down to the slow-V or a GWS slow-stick package. After consideration I think its still likely to be the slow-V, mostly because of the extra cost associated with slow-stick package. Does anybody know if will be able to use the 7-cell 8.4v 900 MaH batteries from my FB freedom with the Slow-V?
Old 06-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Solcat

You can get a free flight simulators at http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/sss/ You can download a lot of available models into it. Use a two stick analog game controller for $12 from Walmart
-
The cheapest starter is the Air Hogs Aero Ace. It’s $30 RTF including a transmitter. It’s only controlled by thrust of the two motors so you can’t do loops and it will fly different from a rudder and elevator plane, but its’ tough and it will teach you orientation. It only needs the space of a two car garage to fly.
-
With a Slow Stick you will go through a ton of props, a motor and maybe a fuselage before you are competent. A Slow Stick does require only the space of a baseball field to fly. It’s more of a “floater”. A Multiplex Easy star is bigger than a slow stick, much tougher, has a very difficult to break pusher propeller and can handle more wind. It's available RTF for about $180, receiver ready for $109 and as an ARF for $55. The Easy star requires the space of a soccer field to fly. They soar well. See http://www.plawner.net/3/1st_plane/ in which he recommends mainly Multiplex planes for their toughness and ease of construction. They also fly very well. Other options from Multiplex are the Easy Glider and the Twin Star II.
- http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMYK8&P=FR
- I think the best idea would be to get a receiver ready Mutliplex Easy Glider Electric, which is all built except the receiver installation and get a JR Spectrum radio and receiver for it. Would make a great 4 channel trainer.
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Spe...M_p/spm2460.htm
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/240107.asp

- A wise addition to most planes:
- http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/gws...a__1500029.htm