Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

proper trim

Old 06-19-2006, 06:28 PM
starpower4u

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default proper trim

OK, I have a new EasyGlider Elec. I'm uncertain about trim. I've done a CG balance and when I toss it w/o power it makes a nice straight sweet glide for about 20-30' and then noses in at about 45 degrees. It seems to have just run out of flying speed and dives in, but on the other hand I want to think that it should continue to glide at the same angle of decent until a gentle landing through the grass. Much like any other 50 cent glider or paper plane I tossed as a kid.

When I tried it under power it resulted in many ugly crashes. This in my mind is all my lack of any flying experience. I went back in here and read much about large flying areas so you are not always in turn/panic mode. I have about 800' x 800' and can get above the trees pretty easy for a lot of area. But I still think more room is in order. I've also ordered some sim software and interface USB for my Hitec Optic 6, with the hopes of getting it all together.

I read numerous high value tips in the beginners sections (especially Ed's!!) but one I would like to add is - don't paint and trick out your plane until AFTER you have mastered flying it! I have some ugly repairs on a plane that I put far too much tiome painting and detailing before it's 1st flight!

So, what should a hand tossed glide look like in no wind on a perfectly trimed glider and /or elec. glider?

Thanks to all of you for the input and support!

-jeff
Old 06-22-2006, 01:03 AM
Hatty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: proper trim

Are you adding any elevator to the plane when it is gliding? It just sounds like it is stalling. You can change the neutral position on the elevator to correct this, but I would not worry about it since I don't think that is a huge problem since the plane glides well up until that point. As for the plane crashing when you throw it, sorry to say that is most likely your little experience. With full throttle and a good toss, the plane should have no problem taking flight. But, I could not say for sure since I usually take off from the ground since I hate tossing. I find the ground a much safer place to start from.

And you made a good choice by getting flight sim software. It will help you a lot. You can keep crashing the plane (and not waste money) until you finally get the hang of it. Thats something that I should have invested in when I was learning how to fly (I taught myself). But, make sure you are very good on the sim before you start risking your plane again. You will be kicking yourself if you don't and then total your plane. Trust me. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Flypaper 2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Keep adding a notch at a time of down elevator till it does a long flat glide all the way to the ground without stalling.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:26 AM
Hatty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats the idea. But, you do need to remember that it is a small aircraft, so it is very susceptible to winds. So, it will be very hard for you to accurately tell how to set the elevator angle. The plane needs your input to keep it flying how you want. This is why I say that you can't rely on how the plane glides by itself. But, in the end, you might want to find a local flying field, take your plane out there and ask them if they could help you set it up properly. I couldn't imagine anyone not willing to or excited about breaking in a new plane.