Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Power/Thrust

Old 06-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Diaz028

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Power/Thrust

Hi, I am building a custom jet. I am planning on having three ducted fans to power it. The jet might weigh around 15-30 pounds. I want this aircraft to hover, so I assume I need at least 10 pounds of thrust per fan. Lets say I want to do some major over-kill and want 15-20 pounds of thrust per fan;

1. What electric engine/ducted-fan combination would push 15-20 pounds? Or even 10 pounds?
2. What are the types/categories of electric engines out there and which ones would best suit my application?

Thank you !

-D
Old 06-26-2006, 12:52 PM
coolbean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Power/Thrust

Your not going to find an electric ducted fan with thoose specs... At this point you are looking at turbine engines.
You can't "hover" with a ducted fan or turbine engine even if it has the power because there is no airflow over the control surfaces.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Diaz028

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks alot for answer !
Old 07-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Hatty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, technically, you can. But, thrust vectoring is a bit compex for an rc aircraft. So, its probably best to stick with props.

Also, giving your craft a lot of power means bigger motors, bigger batteries which makes the craft heavier, so you have to have a heavier fuselage and landing gear to support the weight, which decreases performance which makes you want a bigger motor which means you have to get bigger batteries which...

Get the idea?

These are things rc and real aircraft designers have to deal with. Give and take. Sometimes you don't always get what you want (extreme power to weight in your case).