Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Hobbico Superatar EP Flight times

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Hobbico Superatar EP Flight times

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 05:42 PM
tessmar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico Superatar EP Flight times

My instructor is not an "electric" guy and recommended the Hobbico Avistar as my trainer before I told him I wanted to go electric. I found the Superstar EP to be very much like the Avistar...a bit smaller and with a flat bottomed wing (and possibly dihedral that the Avistar does not have). It is very well built and a neatly done package, but one of the consistent criticisms of it was short (five or six minute) flight times with the included motor and battery (600 speed and 2100MaH NiCd).

I decided to get a second battery so I would not hold up my instruction. I figured a 3000MaH NiMh with the same voltage (8.4) would be a good choice. While I have not yet flown it I thought folks trying to evaluate this plane would be interested in my static test results.

The supplied 2100 NiCd ran at roughly 2/3 throttle for about four minutes. Once the 3000 NiMh was properly conditioned it ran for a startling 15 minutes and 40 seconds. I was expecting roughly 9 minutes. While I know this does not duplicate real flying conditions I think this alternative represents a real (and much less expensive) alternative to at least one review which claimed the only solution was an expensive brushless motor and LiPo batteries. By the way, the NiMh weighs exactly the same as the less powerful NiCd and is readily available in 3300 and 3600MaH versions. The motor is rated for 9.6 volts so these packs are alternatives as well, although I believe these would only give higher performance (speed) and not longer duration.

I'll report back with more information after some flight experience (I'm a complete novice and will get my first lesson tomorrow)
Old 07-11-2006, 09:08 AM
cobra26

Default RE: Hobbico Superatar EP Flight times

Yeah! Keep us posted - I've got a "stock" SSEP and am VERY interested in what you find in flight!

Thanks,

Aeromite
Old 07-12-2006, 11:27 AM
rcbif

Default RE: Hobbico Superatar EP Flight times

yea! another ssep owner. I'll be waiting for results[8D]