Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Crash 'n Burned & Loving It!

Old 08-01-2006, 09:39 PM
OFADAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Crash 'n Burned & Loving It!

Okay, I'm the new kid on the block.

My son and I purchased a Freedom Firebird based upon a bunch of recommendations for 1st timers. We'll we didn't read anything including this forum. We are/were ignorant and flew in 6 to 9 mph wind, flew to close to the ground and "pre flight?" what the heck is a pre flight? Well... we crashed it several times hard and broke just about everything on it. HobbyZone was really good about it and encouraged us to send it back for an overhaul cuz we toasted the circuits in it. I'm impressed with their service. We shipped it off and didn't have anything to fly.

So, we waited about two days and couldn't wait any longer and went to the local hobby store and bought the Areobird Challenger based upon some recommendations on this site.

We did everything right this time and flew it for quite a while. It was a hoot. Then the winds came up and it was time to land...well on the downwind approach coming into final a gust of wind slammed it down hard and across the street (we're at a school play ground) and slammed it hard into a garage door. The wing stayed together because of the rubber band system they use (smart!). The Firebird wing would have been destroyed.

It took one heck of a beat'n but will still fly. The nose cone is totally inverted now and the flip up cockpit window that raises up to connect the battery needs some strapping tape to keep it on. We didn't try flying it again tho as the wind is just too darn strong for newbies.

I'm really impressed with the Champ as a first timer with no instructor mode type of flying.

Any flying tips are greatly apprecated... I'll lurk and listen!

Old 08-02-2006, 09:59 AM
kulgan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Crash 'n Burned & Loving It!

You can take a heat gun (hair dryer) heat the plastic up, not too hot, and sort of mold it back into shape with your fingers. If need be you can take the styrofoam out of the nose to get inside, just put it back in with some double sided foam tape or epoxy.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The unfortunate part of learning to fly are the inevitable crashes. You are correct in stating that the Challenger is a resilient plane. Mine looks like its been through a war: it has tape and epoxy all over the place, but still flies great.

Before you fly again, carefully check out all aspects of the plane. Besides the obvious ones, check that the electronic board inside the plane is firmly attached. It had a tendency of breaking loose after repeated/hard crashes and will greatly affect the plane's flying ability.

Try to fly when the wind is 5mph or less. (The first hour after sunrise and the last hour before sunset are usually the least windy) Use the ribbon supplied with the plane, attached to the end of your antenna to gauge wind direction and speed (yes, its a good idea to read the manual). Go directly to the Pro Mode. The plane is much easier to fly, even for beginners, in this mode. Just keep your stick movements small and allow the plane to return to level flight after small turns. Get plenty of altitude, at least 100ft. up and at least 50ft above any nearby trees. Try to find a clear field that is 600ftx600ft. Keep us informed of your progress.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:03 AM
sputnikxxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well.... I was not so lucky in 2 days time from my challenger I managed to break the rubber bands that hold the wing in place.. well actually the clips that hold the rubberbands on the fuselage broke.... the little plastic pieces that the wire leads attach to the rear wing broke.. there are 2 huge cracks in the front wing.. the fuselage split down the seam and now the rod slides in and out.... lol and did this with just 2 crashes..... so im gettin a slow stick for now... goin back to the challenger when I get more experience... but I hope you guys are enjoying this as much as I am....
Old 08-04-2006, 04:22 PM
OFADAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well this Challenger is a hoot to fly. My son and I have now found a much bigger field, limited our times to sunrise and sunset when the winds are dead calm and we're doing some amazing things. My takes offs are easy - and I'm getting 1000% better on landings. I'm ready to graduate to landing gear and a hard surface for landings.

Crashes now are things in the past. I've got a buddy who is an instructor showing up tonight to refine my techniques and tell me if I'm ready to graduate to the next level of plane and skill building.

Keep the faith!
Old 05-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Joe K
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Champ has set a new standard for a beginner airplane, fun per dollar, bang per buck.I normally in to helicopters though they are fun and an adrenalin rush there are times you just want to relax. Now I have tried the Firebird outlaw, the firebird two, and I have flown a size 40 trainer.This Champ is easy to fly in tighter spaces and can handle wind up to about 15MPH. crashes and tumbles are no problem and it is ready for more. Flies great out of the box batteries charge in 45minutes and I get 10 minutes of flight time per battery, I love this thing. in a grassy field with 5 mph wind and no trees I would have no problem handing the TX to someone who has never flown before. I would feel safer handing the TX to a 6 year old with it flying than to let them handle the airplane. It only weighs 1.3 oz.