Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Airfoilz Edge 540 - Need some questions answered

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Airfoilz Edge 540 - Need some questions answered

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 07:03 PM
zope_pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airfoilz Edge 540 - Need some questions answered

Hey guys,

I have been flying Glow for 6 years, and just had to try out one of these electrics. The performance is unreal, and the price is right. I am at the point where I want to learn 3d, but just cant bring myself to risking my 1200+ dollar biplane. Anyhow... I have selected the Airfoilz Edge as the plane to get. Now I need help with equipment selection.

I will be going with the Recommended Hacker Motor, and the Thunder Power 11.1v 1320. Now I need help picturing how the electrics work, so please excuse my glow thinking. Does the LIPO that powers the motor also power the receiver? If so, does it run through a voltage regulator? Or are their two seperate batteries like always? I just don't really understand how the power is routed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Adam
Old 08-01-2006, 12:01 AM
jdetray

Default RE: Airfoilz Edge 540 - Need some questions answered

Hi Adam-

Welcome to the wonderful (and clean) world of e-flight.

While you can use two separate batteries, that's normally not done with a plane the size of the Airfoilz Edge.

The Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) includes a Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC). The BEC allows the ESC to supply power to the motor and the receiver (and servos) using a single battery. The BEC is in fact a voltage regulator.

You plug the battery into the ESC.
You plug the motor into the ESC.
You plug the ESC into the receiver's throttle channel, usually channel 3. The ESC provides power to the receiver through this connection. See the diagram below.

For larger electrics, you might use a separate receiver battery, but for smaller planes the BEC works fine. Batteries are heavy, so you don't want two of them if you can avoid it.

- Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75742.gif
Views:	9
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	499974  
Old 08-01-2006, 12:14 AM
zope_pope

Cool. That makes total sense. Thanks for the diagram and info.

Onto the clean comment. I never thought of not having to clean up the oil left from my glow engines. I am beginning to see why electrics are becoming more and more popular. Also i dont have to worry about losing as much power at high altitude. Now all i have to worry about is prop efficiency, not the engine struggling to breathe.

Are the Hs-55's plenty for this size airplane? I have never owned anything smaller than a .40, so I am at a loss as to what kind of loads these servos need to take. Thanks in advance!

Adam
Old 08-01-2006, 12:27 AM
jdetray

The HS-55 servos should be fine. They are generally considered to be good quality servos.

One of the limitations of the BEC is that the more servos you have, the more current the BEC must supply. If you use too many servos or use servos with high current requirements, the BEC portion of the ESC may overheat. So good quality servos can be important.

I'm not familiar with the Airfoilz company, but you can usually count on the vendor of an aircraft to recommend components that work well in their planes.

- Jeff
Old 08-01-2006, 01:05 PM
mikeygp
My Feedback: (6)

The 55s work well with the AirfoilZ planes. That being said if you are a top-notch pilot you can upgrade to the hs 65s. It really depends on how good you are if you can tell the deference in servos. You are going to love this plane. Get it order before they sell out again.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:14 PM
zope_pope

I wouldn't consider myself top notch, but going from analog to digital servos, i could definitely tell the difference. :P (I think anyone can though). I think i will just stick to the hs55 for now, and upgrade a little bit later if I feel I need to. Thanks for the help. I cant wait to try this thing out. I have heard so many great things about them.

I am sure you guys have seen it, but this is one cool vid of the Edge in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0DXH...earch=airfoilz
Old 08-01-2006, 01:17 PM
mikeygp

Hey that looks like me flying O it is LOL.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:04 PM
zope_pope

Haha, sure is. Nice vid and great flying. I'll die a happy man if I can get half that good. :P

Does anyone know how 3dx ships their planes? I know it is USPS, but is it the priority parcel, or regular. The difference is two dollars, but their website wouldn't let me change the shipping options. I am just too excited to get my hands on one of these I guess.

Lastly, what kind of RPM's does the Hacker turn with a 10x4.75 (the APC that is recommended for this plane). Trying to get a good guess of performance at my altitude. THanks.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:09 PM
mikeygp

Give them a call on the phone he will take care of you. 732 406 5726
Old 08-04-2006, 07:14 PM
zope_pope

Cool. Left him a message. Thanks for the number.

Any idea on those RPM's?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:18 PM
mikeygp

I can post them tonight latter what batt do you want them with??
Old 08-04-2006, 07:21 PM
zope_pope

I bought the combo which came with the Thunder Power 1320 11.1v. I believe that is the correct info. Thanks for all your help. I have been unable to learn 3d on anything because even my 1.40dz on my DPM Ultimate doesn't have enough power!! Thin air really sucks. I fly full scale as well, and let me tell you, i just avoid flying in the summer all together. The tower is always telling me to clear the runway right after take off, and i am always having to say I am too low. Anyhow, I'll quit my whining. I am pretty sure the electric and super low weight of this plane will do the trick.