Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Slow Stick Questions???

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Slow Stick Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 12:01 AM
sputnikxxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Stick Questions???

I am thinking bout getting a slow stick.... I notice its ARF and not ready to fly.... what other parts will I need to get it in the air?

Ihave a aerobird challanger can I use any of the equipment that came with it?

What is the flying time?

If I can't use any of the equipment that came with my challanger for the slow stick what is the best bang for the buck to get it flying...

I am new to flying electric but my only regret is not getting into it sooner.. I intend to stay in the hobby for a long time and get better electric flyers as my skills get better
so I guess my question is what is a good choice of transmitters.... batteries ... chargers... etc.... that can be used on a multitude of flyers and not just one... that one break my pocket... cause I am working with limited funds....
Old 08-04-2006, 10:40 AM
soarhead-RCU

Default RE: Slow Stick Questions???

spitnik:
This is my take on the basics you need to fly a SS. I have never had your former plane so dont know what is compatable and not.
The SS comes powered by a 400 motor and a 300 motor. I have flown both and really think the 300 series motor is better in my personal opinion. lighter and uses lighter batteries.
You will need a ics-300 speed control or similar (cost around 15-20 bucks)
You will need battery packs (GWS has some 750ma 7cell nimhs, in green shrink wrap that sell for around 15 bucks good for 10-15 min. flight time) If you want to start out with lipos I would use 2 cell of around 2100ma, good for 30 to 40 minutes flight time depending on flying style.
For a decent charger you have to spend 50 to 150 bucks. My opinion for the best low cost all around charger is the Hobbico MK11. Charges nicads-nimhs and lipos Cost is 50-60 bucks. From there the sky is the limit.
For a basic radio you need at least 3 channels for the SS. Can get Hitech and Futabas single stick radios for around 100 bucks Get the small RX and servo pack option for these radios. Like chargers for radios the sky is the limit on what you can get and spend . If you think you are going to stay in the hobby and advance to more complicated planes , I would start with a computer type radio with lots of bells and whisles right off the bat. Save money in the end.
The SS assembly is not bad, terrible instructions though, but plenty of info available online and tons of mods to customize it to your liking. I think everyone should have a SS or something similar for easy going evening flights when there is calm air, very relaxing and amazing how slow you can get one to fly if you build it lite. Stevens Areo has a new slow stick out that comes with ailerons. Never got to fly it but it also flies real slow and is very agile. It is a wood kit if you like to build with balsa.
Goo Luck
Bob
Old 08-05-2006, 12:54 AM
sputnikxxx

ok...here is a noob moment but what is ailerons?
Old 08-05-2006, 11:52 PM
jdetray

Ailerons are control surfaces on the trailing edge of the wing that cause the plane to roll on its axis. Here is a basic diagram.

Normal operation of ailerons is that when one moves upward, the other moves downward. The plane then rolls in the direction of the "up" aileron.

- Jeff
Old 08-08-2006, 12:07 AM
sputnikxxx

yah... I see the stevens aero kit.... that is definately gonna be on the list once im ready to take a step up....
Old 08-27-2007, 12:36 AM
pfatz

If you expect to stay in the hobby and move up as I do, I would suggest you consider a Spectrum DX7 radio.

I chose it after a lot of reading and research. It will give me room to grow with 7 channels of control for my venture into Heli's and larger planes and maybe some fun stuff requiring added controls. Bombers?????

I bought the Air & Heli model from Hobby Lobby at a fair price. It comes with 4 useful servos and a AR7000 Receiver. This all overkill for my Slow Stick but It will serve me well later on. I ordered a AR6300 6 ch Spectrum receiver (Rx) for my SS. It only weighs 2 grams and can move up with me since it offers 6 ch. I'll save the AR7000 7 ch for a later....larger project.

I chose the Xtrema charger because it is upgradable over the I-net and can charge Lipo's and the new LiMn Batts. It also has a built in Wattmeter, Useful to Electric flyers.

I subscribe to RC Mags and read the forums to learn a lot. Fly fine and fast