Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Unique? 1st e-plane question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Unique? 1st e-plane question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:29 PM
harphunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unique? 1st e-plane question

I got "signed off" on my glow-powered trainer about 3 years ago, but haven't been able to get out to the flying field but a hand-full of times each season because of parental obligations. Because of this, going flying is not "like riding a bike." I've not been able to maintain a complete comfort level. I'm just not able to get out to the flying field 1 to 2 days a week for half-day flying sessions, but do not want to leave the hobby. I've since sold my airplanes, but kept my Futaba 9c radio and thought that park flying would be a great alternative.

My question. I've been reading 1st plane threads until my my brain hurts, but nothing seems to fit my situation. If completely beginning, I would buy a slow stick, but I do have some skills. Many entry level "packages" include a radio or are only three channel. Has anyone converted from glow to electric with basic skills mastered and what would you suggest as a good, "beginning," cross-over, 4 channel electric plane? I've been looking at a number of planes, but would like to know what those of you with experience think.

Thank you in advance. harphunt
Old 08-09-2006, 04:48 PM
jdetray

Default RE: Unique? 1st e-plane question

If you were flying a glow trainer and have "not been able to maintain a complete comfort level," then you should probably get an electric trainer. The Slow Stick is not a bad choice. I know skilled glow pilots who still enjoy flying their Slow Sticks.

If you don't want a Slow Stick, go to a site like [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/]Hobby Lobby[/link], and browse through their trainer-type electrics to get some ideas about what is available.

- Jeff
Old 08-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a converted Glow-Guy, but a good step up from a Slow Stick is the GWS Estarter. It is a honest flying 4 channel plane.

It flys well stock, not aerobatic, but okay. I fly mine stock with fairly heavy packs (7 cell 1100 mAh NIMH packs) and enjoy taking it out every now and then.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:03 AM
soarhead-RCU

I agree with you guys, everyone should have a nice flying parkflier. In the evening when the breeze drops off and you dont want to load up all the equipment to take to the field you just grab your little electric and walk or drive to the nearest park or schoolgrounds. With lipos that stay charged up you just plug em in and fly, no hassle. Doesnt matter if its 3D, speedy wing or a slow stick, its a great way to end the day and relax.
Bob