Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Mini ultra stick

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Razorback174

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini ultra stick

I saw mini ultra stick a few days ago. It's a P-N-P and I was wondering if it would make a good first trainer. What's your opinion?
Old 07-22-2006, 10:28 PM
pingber1
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Mini ultra stick

I just purchased one and I love it ... its quick, responsive, loads of fun, stable in the wind, lands easily and takes off from grass ..BUT, unless you know how to fly, its not a good trainer ... its too small and like I said above, its fast.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Razorback174

I think you're right. I saw one fly and it is FAST! Then what about a T-ifo?
Old 07-24-2006, 06:03 PM
av8torjim

I agree. I just got back into the hobby after an 18 year hiatus and bought the MUS. I'd been working out on the Aerofly Professional Deluxe simulator and still had my hands full with the first flight. I ended up aborting my first takeoff when the plane fishtailed severely and took off almost perpendicular to the runway. I knocked the landing gear off with no damage to the plane. I got smart and let an experienced flier trim it out and then got on the buddy box with him. I'm be able to handle it with the low rates and at less than WOT. Toss in the high rates and WOT and I'm not sure I'm ready to keep up with it. A great flying plane, but learn to fly first. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:06 AM
mxerman

I have to agree. Not a first plane. I really think its a great third plane. You need to get a foam trainer. Then an aileron trainer, still foam. As you get better and can fly and land without crashing at all then get the MUS. Its balsa and does not like hard landings and crashes. When you do get one I think they are one of the best flying planes you will ever have. Enjoy mxerman
Old 08-01-2006, 06:50 PM
treedog

Can i put a .09 ap hornet engine on 1 or does it need beefed up first ? Why u ask , well i just like the looks of it and i'm kinda new here. ty
Old 08-02-2006, 08:37 PM
skyhawk73

First flight went great with the 480 but then I put it on a shelf for a future party and the tires went flat.
Is it cause the 480 with the 3c 2100 is so heavy that the foam on the tires can't support it.
How is the best way to hang a MUS on a vertical wall.? From the tail or prop ? The foam part of my
tires are out of round from settin on a table.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:10 PM
skyhawk73

After supporting the mus on the struts, the tires returned to normal like new form.

Did ten takeoffs and landings to a full stop at the flying field so I can get the feel for how slow
it can approach - touchdown - rollout. Lost the skid. Went home and made a new plastic
skid and tried takeoffs and landings in my yard.

Good thing the takeoff roll is short because my MUS has a nasty right turn during the takeoff roll.
I thought torque and P-Factor would pull to the left on take-off but I got a right turning tendency on
the take-off roll.

The landings at the flying field were fine but at home I get the famous "kiss the ground" after touchdown.
I don't think my grass at home is much different from that at the flying field. My home-made skid
doesn't appear much different than the stock one.

My balance test looks ok but for some reason I got a right turn tendency on t/o and a nose heavy on landing.

Have ya been there?
Old 08-06-2006, 10:55 AM
skyhawk73

I gotta answer my own questions.

The MUS takes allota rudder management on take-off roll. If you let it fly itself, it will not be pretty.

A simple piece of bent plastic added to the rear nut on the vertical stab makes a better skid
than the one that came with the arf.

Landings on short grass are nice. Ones on tall grass end up with the nose kissing the ground.

I'm crazy bout the MUS. The magnet on the battery door is soooo convenient. Surprisingly, I'm glad
the magnet doesn't adversely effect the radio package.