Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Tx battery indicator light problem

Old 08-13-2006, 04:36 PM
trevormatney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Tx battery indicator light problem

Hi to you! I have a Futaba 4YF transmitter that I bought approx. 2 years ago, but have not used. I charged the battery for about 24 hrs, which should be plenty to fully charge it. there are two lights on the tx, a red one and a green one. The problem is that both stay lit when the tx is on. Any idea why this is? I want to use the radio to fly a plane I just finished assembling, but I'm afraid the Tx battery will die, closely followed by my new plane! Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You in advance!
Old 08-17-2006, 02:49 PM
AJ1202

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Tx battery indicator light problem

You might want to consider trying a different batt to be sure that is the problem, 2 yr for a batt to sitt not being used is a long time
the batt may not be any good,, just a thought. do you have anyway to discharge the battery and recharge it, can you test it to see if it is indeed charged to proper level
Old 08-18-2006, 11:31 AM
trevormatney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I suppose I could make charge leads for my accu-cycle charger, and discharge then charge the battery. Would that tell me how well the battery is charging?
Old 08-18-2006, 03:34 PM
AJ1202

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Trevor, the best way to determine if a batt is charged is to test it after it's charged and see what's in it. You can discharge it by using a small light, like a light bulb for the blinker of your car, just stick wire into the batt plug and tape them to the terminals of the light and let it go dead before you recharge it. or you could just turn your TX on and leave it on and see how long it takes it to die out, just use the controls while sitting there watching TV so it trys to send a signal, or go into the programming mode, that seems to use batt power pretty quick. Also it is important to cycle your batt about 3 times before you use it anyway. this helps it build memory for charging
Old 08-26-2006, 08:47 PM
ryan_t888

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: trevormatney

Hi to you! I have a Futaba 4YF transmitter that I bought approx. 2 years ago, but have not used. I charged the battery for about 24 hrs, which should be plenty to fully charge it. there are two lights on the tx, a red one and a green one. The problem is that both stay lit when the tx is on. Any idea why this is? I want to use the radio to fly a plane I just finished assembling, but I'm afraid the Tx battery will die, closely followed by my new plane! Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You in advance!
Yes, this indicates the battery is sufficient for flying. When the green light goes out bring the plane in. If the red light starts blinking it's bad news. - low voltage

Ryan