Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

2 questions

Old 08-20-2006, 09:52 PM
Robertm64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 questions

OK here it goes first question! i have a charger it s for 7 cell 8.4V nihm packs it ranges from .5 to 1.8 charge rate. how high should i be charging the packs?

And the Second one!

Tonight was my first flight ever. and i did it all by myself. no prior training! I have a gws estarter. upon taxing it down the runway i discovered no matter how far i pushed the rudder to the right it still turned violently to the left.[&:]! so yeah even thought the haves of the fuse were lined up the landing gear didnt go in straight! no wonder it didnt taxi straight. so i ge it on a goot take off surface and JAM the throtle wide open and pull back on the elevators[>:]!! WOOHOO! take off in about 8 feet i flew for about 50 yards in a semi circle finding out how sensitive the controls really are[X(]( my first flight ever remind you)!! i landed and tore the landing gear right off well alright i needed to glue them on straight anyways. well now what! im not letting that get me down. HANDLAUNCH!!! my second attempt was much better i circled the field several times the flight was about 5 mins.

now to the question the plane seems to roll to the right or left and side slip rather quickly mind you. so I let go of the stick and throttle it down and it leveled out. back on the throttle and away i go again. Is this because i am making the plane turn too hard? it only seems to happen when im trying to turn the plane. What else could be causing this?

Oh yes it went into another spiral death spin about 10 yards from the ground having logged my 5 mins 22.4 seconds of flight time im not that fast on the stick and only managed to level it out just before a fast and furious landing. and I broke my prop! not bad i might say for my first flight. really wish I had an instructor after reading some of the horror stories about first solo flights.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:52 AM
AJ1202

Default RE: 2 questions

HI Robert, welcome to the wonderfull world of RC flight, I have a E-Starter and love it, it sounds like your overcontroling it, the plane will roll on it's side when it turns, that is normal but if you turn it too hard it rolls so far that it will go into a spiral,also did you install your ailerons or are you just flying rudder elevator, if only rudder remember it takes a sec to begni turning so don't force it, this plane is designed for ailerons and will fly rudder only but not as well, the trick is nice gentle movments on the stick and once it begins to turn ease off and it should stay in the turn for a bit before pullng back level. as far as turning left on the ground that is also normal as your dealing with the motor torque, a rather fast take off or a steerable tailwheel is the only solution to that. The stock set up on the landing gear is trash, I trimmed the mounting hole out and shimmed it with plastic and glued my gear in place, this has worked very good. I think the ES is a good plane to learn on, just don't push it too hard while you learn and it will hold up well.
I flew mine untill I burnt up the motor and now have a brushless motor on it. it is hands down the best flying plane in my fleet for overall performance
Good luck with yours and happy flying
Old 08-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Leo L

Default RE: 2 questions

The charging rate for your battery does not depend on the number of cells, but rather on the discharge rate of the battery. You should try no to exceed the discharge rate when charging your battery; therefore a 600mah battery should be charged at 0.6 amps or less; a 1000mah battery should be charged at 1.0 amps or less; etc.

I agree with AJ that it sounds like you are overcontrolling the plane. This is very common for beginners. make sure that your controls are attached to the outermost hole on the control horn. If this is still giving you problems, try moving the controls in by one hole on the servo arm.