Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

New to electric slow flyers

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

New to electric slow flyers

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 08:27 PM
Peter Griffin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to electric slow flyers

Hey there all... hope everyone is good... looking to get into slow flyers, but dont know anything about them... we have around 7 gas planes, but want to have something we can fly right out our business doors... you know... when we have to take a break just pop outside and fly for a couple minutes... are there anygood 4 channel slow flyers out there for a beginner...

Thanks for your time and good fly9ing to you all

Peter Griffin
Old 01-07-2003, 04:36 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are flying fuel powered planes, do you really want an entry level plane???

I am flying a MMLil Hornet. It is a fun fly style of plane. Thinck fully semitrical wing, 3 or 4 channel. I ended up putting a new motor GB on it so I could runn an 8 cell nimh battery.

I am using the Dymond micro peak charger for the battery $29.99
8 cell 720 mah nimh pack $24.00
Lil Hornet $50.00
repower motor gb $65.00
CS-10 servos (2) $24.00
MRX-4 Rx $20.00
ESC $20.00

I had so many flights on the stock setup that I wore the motor out. I wanted more power but did not want to go brushless yet.

This little plane has been so much fun that it is worth ten times what I paid for it. The good thing is all of the on board gear will fit into your next plane.

mountianmodels.com (Lil Hornet)
dymondrc.com (battery, charger, 2nd motor GB)
hobbypeople.com (servo's, Rx, ESC, Lil Hornet also)

Hope this helps a little.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:47 AM
Peter Griffin

i appreciate the help... thanks for the insight... what kinda flight times can i expect for electric planes
Old 01-07-2003, 06:18 AM
SavoirFaire

Look at Hobby Lobby's Direct 280. It's a kick to fly, although it could use more power (couldn't we all?). Compact and almost indestructible, you can hardly go wrong at the $49 selling price. Someone posted a few weeks back that HL had them on sale for $29. Pissed me off! I would have bought another at that price, even though the 1st one is still in good shape.

SavoirFaire
Old 01-07-2003, 07:29 AM
darenm
My Feedback: (2)

I Got It! Watt-Age Crazymax is your Ticket, this is a full house plane that is over powered and can do ALMOST any Aerobatic Moves you want. And at only $45.00 you can't go wrong.

But if your looking for a SLOW Flyer may i suggest the GWS Slow Stick. $35.00 Really fast 30 Min Build. Take Off, Land ANY where. Climb rate is out standing. Yet in a 10 MPH wind you can fly it like a kite. Many use this to take aerial pictures and so on. You can use Micro or Standard size equipment.

Good Luck!

Merged threads. 2 Threads Same Topic.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:47 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am getting 7 to 8 minutes of WOT with the 720 nimh pack. With a little throttle managmnet I can stretch it for 10 plus. This plane flys the same inverted as it does right side up. It also flys like a kite in 10 mph winds. I have flown it backwards in the wind.

Dru.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:40 AM
easy2fly
My Feedback: (3)

tigermoth comes to mind when you say slowflyer. it turns tight so it can be flown out of your business doors. slowstick is also a good one, if you want a little aerobatics ( loops mostly it).
Old 01-08-2003, 03:47 PM
Peter Griffin

yeah... i think having 4 channels is my main priority... to keep my flying skills up and what not... i wish there were more of these planes at my local hobby shop... i really like to support them, but it looks like ill have to go to the internet to find a good 4 channel....

thanks for helping guys... im using all your info
Old 01-23-2003, 01:45 AM
ringele13

a zagi 400x is a great little plane, although its only 3 channel it is very arobatic and can be flown almost anywhere
Old 01-24-2003, 06:49 PM
ElectriFan-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

As always, 100s of opinions

The Crazy Max and Lil Hornet are good suggestions. I'd also suggest the Tiny-X from www.toddsmodels.com. Todd's designs are fun, yet made from low cost components. Plus they are balsa, so you should already have the tools since you fly gassers.

Tiny-X: $50
GWS DXA + GWS 10x8 prop: $18
2x Pico servos: $40 (or 2x Hitec HS-50s for ~$50)
2x 1020mAh LiPoly batts: ~$24 if you assemble into a pack, or ~$30 pack
GWS ICS-100 ESC: $20
Rx (get the best lightest you can afford like FMA M5, Berg*4, Hitec Electron 6, Plantraco DSP4-SC [built in ESC], etc): ~$60-$80

This is a fun aerobatic parkflyer/indoor flyer. Stock is 3 channel (A/E/T) but can be modified to add rudder with an extra servo, etc. Stock set up with LiPoly batts will give you over 30 mins flying per charge comfortably - more like 45 min. The Tiny loves to be light, so I'm building one with above equip w/ the Plantraco Rx/ESC (8g/rx+esc+xtal = $60). Later, I may try the GWS dual motor combo for good vertical.

P.S. - a Zagi 400X isn't what I would call a slow flyer. It's a great plane model (I have the Zagi 400) but not a slow flyer.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:34 AM
sslandry

I have to second the crazy max for a person like you who has glow experience. I have not seen a lil Hornet, but now I'm interested. The Crazy max is so fun. I absolutley love it. I have both Glow and electric planes and it is my favorite plane. I live in a small suburban neighborhood and have even flown it in my front yard. It was a little hairy, but I wil do it again as soon as I have a calm day. I get about 8-10 minutes of flight out of the suggested 800Mah NiMh battery pack. I also have a tiger moth which is really fun, but about as aerobatic as a 747.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:36 AM
darenm
My Feedback: (2)

Well since we're on the topic, here's a nice indoor Crazy Max Video:

http://www.silentflightonline.com/Si...Images/964.wmv

Enjoy.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:59 PM
Dawson

Hi:

You asked about a good park flyer.
Try the Tiger Moth w/ 150 mAh nicads or the Mini Max w/ 7 -700-800 mAh NiMH batteries.
I fly large (.25-.40 size) electrics and park flyers and prefer the larger birds. That's because any wind over 5 MPH will raise hell with the little ones. I can fly my 5-7 lb. planes in 12 MPH winds.
Good luck.

Dawson
Old 02-02-2003, 04:51 PM
ElectriFan-RCU

If one goes with the TigerMoth, I'd say forget about the NiCd/NiMH batteries. Just get a pack of 2x1020 Lithium Polymer cells (and LiPo charger) and fly it for an hour! Yup, and they also hold their charge well. So once the pack is charged, keep required gear in the back of your vehicle. Then one can zip out for a quick flight when there's no/low wind.

Beginners should also be aware that it is generally calm at dawn/dusk.