Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Take off or throw it?

Old 09-01-2006, 05:36 AM
Coopz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Take off or throw it?

Hi, bit of an electric noob (have a few flights with a gas trainer), but I recently bought a Electrafun XP Trainer. In the manual it says to launch it by throwing it evenly into the wind, but says once you have had a few flights under your belt then conventional ground takeoffs should be done. Not really sure but isn't taking off from the ground safer? I mean if the trims out a fraction or you don't throw it smoothly its going to crash.

Thoughts?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Take off or throw it?

Most manufacturers seem to recommend hand launching the plane the first few flights. I agree with you that this seems to be counterproductive. By ground launching, you can observe the plane as it taxis, accelerates and then takes off. If there is any problem, you can cut the throttle and have the plane come to a stop with no, or minimal, damage.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Hatty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Take off or throw it?

I started taking off from the ground. I have never thrown my plane. I am not confident. It took a little while to figure out how the control surfaces should be when I do it, but now, its easy. And with my setup, the plane takes off vertically, which looks pretty cool. I don't think I would get the same effect from throwing the plane.

My guess to why they tell you to do that is because they think it will be more likely that you will scrape up your wing by losing control on the ground (which can be easy to do) rather than your plane doing a faceplant with a hand launch.