Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Do Prop Savers Save You Money?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Do Prop Savers Save You Money?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 05:37 PM
EJWAY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do Prop Savers Save You Money?

Will using a prop saver save you money? Also will is cost you power and efficiency. Also not clear if you need one or two O-rings for proper use?
Old 09-02-2006, 09:05 PM
jdetray

Default RE: Do Prop Savers Save You Money?

The whole purpose of a prop saver is to save you money. If it prevents even a couple of broken props or bent shafts, you've saved money.

As for the number of o-rings, common sense prevails. I use one o-ring on small motors, two of them on larger, more powerful motors.

Prop savers are not foolproof. You can still break a prop or bend a shaft -- I'm proof of that!

- Jeff
Old 09-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Hatty

ORIGINAL: jdetray

Prop savers are not foolproof. You can still break a prop or bend a shaft -- I'm proof of that!
I agree, but they are basically a must for me. I apparently am in an "I can't land my plane correctly for the life of me" funk. I have gone through quite a few o-rings, but hey, those things are cheap. A new motor is not. And I don't want a new motor quite yet, so my prop saver is a blessing. Get one. You will feel the same way.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Leo L

I don't like prop savers. I've come close to being hit by a prop that came flying off the prop-saver when the o-ring snapped. Most flyers go through three or four props before they get the hang of flying and langing. Then the props need to be replaced as they start to get nicks and chips on them. This happens whether or not you have a prop saver.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Hatty

I agree. I recently had one fly off during takeoff. I was lucky enough to notice what happened and quickly recover. After that happened I began using many very small rubber bands, similar to those they use to correct overbites with braces, instead of o-rings. This way there are many points of failure instead one one. The only problem is that I don't konw where I can buy them. Anyone know? There doesn't seem to be many uses for rubber bands that small.