Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Easy way to control plane facing you?

Old 09-05-2006, 10:35 PM
EJWAY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Easy way to control plane facing you?

I'm looking for some methods of controling the plane when it is coming directly towards you. I know it's the reverse on when it is going forward away from you but can't seem to respond fast enough to stop problem that develop quickly. Need an easy way to condition the old brain. I'm sure there are some ways the pro's have learned. All methods appreciated till i find something that works for me,.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Hatty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Easy way to control plane facing you?

Try to face the direction the plane is flying so that the controls are not reversed. I have been flying for years and I still do this. So, if the plane is coming towards you, face the direction the plane is flying and look over your shoulder to watch the plane and control it like that. You may look like an idiot, but it will be the same way if you crash your plane. So, I would rather look like an idiot with my plane doing awesome aerobatics in the air.. You will eventually get to the point where you don't need to do this, but until then, this method works like a charm.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:06 AM
David Cutler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I personally think that using the 'looking over your shoulder' technique isn't going to work as it stops you getting the 'finger memory' to move the ailerons and rudder instinctively in the end.

I prefer the 'move the stick towards the dropped wing' approach.

If the left wing is down when coming towards you ,move the stick to the left to 'prop it up'.

It becomes natural quicker that way.

David C.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:46 AM
ArCeeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Those have always been popular methods. I have seen many use them successfully. I have always used the plane's left or right, instead of my visual left or right from my perspective. If it needs to bank to its right, I move the stick right and so on. This stays consistent coming or going. I don't even think about it anymore. Whatever method works for you, rest assured it will likely become second nature eventually and you'll enjoy flying even more.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:43 AM
David Cutler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Whatever method works for you, rest assured it will likely become second nature eventually and you'll enjoy flying even more.
100% agree. It's a bit like playing a guitar. When one is in your hands, you can form the chords with your fingers, but when you don't have one, it's much more difficult to remember how the fingers are positioned!

-David C.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Fliprob17

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just keep practicing it......but do it with some altitude so you have room for mistakes. This is how I taught myself, but you do have to reverse your brain when the plane is heading towards you. If you use a method or gimic to get around it, it will take you more time to learn it in the long run. Just get the plane up in the air, as far away from you as you are comfortable with and practice bringing it towards you....left, straighten out, right straighten out, etc.....
Old 09-16-2006, 08:26 AM
highflyer65

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My son has an elec. race car and I used it every day when he was not around . It worked very well for me. I used his wheel radio and once you did it enough it just became natural.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:50 PM
wedgewing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Do you have access to a Simulator program like G3?

My neighbor was kind enough to say "here try flying my plane" and even though I flew many PC based aircraft simulators and games where you are in the cockpit, when my neighbor's plane turned around I think I said "turn right" in my wind, but my brain told me to take that plane and violently cram it into the ground and break it.

That night he introduced me to his G3 simulator in his home office. I went out and bought it, and while it will not replace a live human instructor to help you through the controlling the opposing plane position, it will save you some money because the planes you break intially are magically rebuilt with a flick of a button.

I guess I have developed into a "control to the down wing" guy and I set up the simulations to present some very mean situations to get myself use to just about anything I think I would be exposed to, including objects, buildings, trees and anything that makes you seize up and forget what you are doing. It has helped me, and that is one of the good things I think a sim can help you with to practice opposing position control.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:07 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: EJWAY

I'm looking for some methods of controling the plane when it is coming directly towards you. I know it's the reverse on when it is going forward away from you but can't seem to respond fast enough to stop problem that develop quickly. Need an easy way to condition the old brain. I'm sure there are some ways the pro's have learned. All methods appreciated till i find something that works for me,.

A simulator is absolutely the best thing - even a simple one.

The thing to remember is to point the aileron stick at the low wing. It takes time. Crashing on a simlulator is free!

I had a tough time with that and a simulator got me "over the hump." You don't need the latest and greatest simulator, any one will do. You're just looking to get familiar with the basics.

BobbyG

Old 10-02-2006, 11:39 PM
sigrun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are no "easy" ways other than application by repetion until it becomes automomous reflex. But there are smart steps you can take to accelerate the process though dilligent intelligent application. ie: " The more frequently I practise with purpose, the better I become at whatever it is I'm pracising." Obviously, that says much for the huge advantage of being able to put up stick time using a TX on an RC flight simuator.

Of course, it goes without saying, a statically and dynamically trimmed suitable model of a suitably stable design for thhis particular part of the training phase is a prerequisite.

There are also some memory jogs which assist brain fade on the sim or in the air, but unless you commit them to rote such that they are auto-recall, by the time you've applied them, the push or pull misapplied is just as effective and auto re-corrective, working faster for most of us unless you tend to overcontrol.

A couple of memory jogs however are, to raise the downgoing wing, push the (aileron) stick toward the low wing. Works to pick up the downgoing wing whether the model is coming toward or going away from you.

Another is nose in tail away, which is applicable for correcting the track of the model toward or away from you. Push the (aileron) stick toward the tail, and the model will roll so as to track away from you. Push it toward the nose and it will track toward you. Works regardless of the direction in which the model is pointing.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:40 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The way I teach is pretty easy. This only works on a trainer, but try giving the control a small blip to the right. Hold it just until you see the wing dip and let go, if it went the right way, cool, if not blip it the other way. Again this only works a trainer with dihedral, but you actually learn not to overcorrect the plane, and you learn to turn comming toward you. You also learn that having it turn the wrong way is nothing to panic about.

When I teach someone to fly I have them blipping all over for the first 3 flights, until they can land it. Then we start removing the blips.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:02 AM
jdetray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sigrun-

I'm very much out of practice and never really got to the point where roll control had become an autonomous reflex. As I re-train myself, I've been looking for some tips.

While I understand "nose in tail away," I'm having trouble with your other memory jog.

If the plane is going away from me, and the right wing is low, pushing the aileron stick to the right will cause the plane to roll even farther to the right, will it not? To pick up the right wing of a plane going away from me, I need to push the aileron stick to the left, don't I?

Now if the plane is coming toward me, pushing the aileron stick toward the low wing will pick up the low wing.

Or have I misunderstood something?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-19-2006, 01:19 PM
apipertoo
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

best sure fire way is to remember to "point your sticks to the wing that is down"
Old 10-26-2006, 08:02 PM
flyingace451

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

go up high, and then fly it towards you over and over trying to control it properly. The easiest way to remember how to level the plane coming towards you is to move the stick in the direction of the lower wing. Once you do it over again, it becomes muscle memory and you won't have to think about it ever again.

Most of my flying is done by muscle memory, I don't even think of how much elevator to add during turns, I just do it. You might have heard this all of your life, but practice practice practice. It's the only true way to master anything.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:37 PM
FMB42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In emergency situations I use the "stick to the low wing" practice. Otherwise I try to keep my mind (or focus) on the right wing at all times. I also, at times, turn the Tx about 120 deg. away from the plane. These work OK for me and I am a novice. The "stick to the low wing" does not work well for me if the wings are level and I just want to turn or bank a bit. But for those "I'm going to crash it" moments the good old "stick to the low wing" is a plane saver for sure. Turning the Tx 120 deg. or so away seems to allow easy stick control while still allowing you to keep a good visual on the plane. This is what my instructor taught me. YMMV
Old 11-14-2006, 09:25 AM
brentg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The point to the low wing practice is the best way remember, but if your losing planes trying to build your chops, you can like others have already noted ,use simulators, rc cars, trucks. I have been driving rc trucks and cars for years and like the others said it becomes reflex after a while, If you know somebody that has rc car with a wheel or better yet a stick radio to practice on coming at you. As far as simulators go a esky usb controller and FMS software can be found around 40 bucks, note: or you can download the FMS software for free and use a windows compatible joystick, the graphics on FMS are not G3 or fsone quality but the plane flying models work and give the impression of what your talking about well. Or if you have a version of Microsoft Flight sim around you can fly with a standard joystick from the tower view and get a rc flying perspective.

Good luck

Brentg
Old 11-14-2006, 02:08 PM
EJWAY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tell me more about Microsoft flight sim. Is it free? and is it still available? I was thinking it was made for real pilot training.
EJ
Old 11-14-2006, 04:06 PM
jdetray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

EJ-

Here's the info about Microsoft Flight Simulator, which has been around for 25 years:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulatorx/

It is a current Microsoft product, and a new version was recently announced. The full program is not free, but there is a free trial version that you can download -- 817 MB!

- Jeff
Old 11-14-2006, 05:15 PM
EJWAY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Jeff:
I'm convinced that FSX delux would be worth the $70 but I'm going to have to wait for Vista intro first.
My e-macine with XP just crapped out and I'm now using an old reliable MAC to communicat on the internet.

So by Feb I'll invest in another E-machine loaded with Vista then buy FSX then.

In the meantime, I'll continue using FSM and fly the Silkywind 400 till my thumbs get trained. I'll do this on my wife's old Windows ME
system which I almost threw out. Glad I didn't because MAC's don't have worthwhile sims.

Ernie
Old 11-15-2006, 09:46 PM
brentg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ejway,
If you are already using Fms to practice flying for perspective , save your money on buying microsoft flight simulator, I only mentioned it if one already had this laying around, the flight models from the tower view are slow and not to realistic unless you use a model such as a extra 300, it is only a last resort. I have a Cermark New Timer plane that is a silkywind clone and I fly the silky on fms on bad weather days, and i can assure you that it is very close to flying the real thing outside. There are other models in Fms that give a good perspective on slow flight, (Slomax, SlowMoth, old timer,Dandy) All these models will give you slow flight and time for correction on the going away and coming at you practice.

Brentg
Old 11-16-2006, 10:27 AM
EJWAY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Brentg:
Thanks for the recent advice. I'll stick with FMS. I'm assuming the slow models you mentioned are on the 8.4 version of FMS?
I have not updated yet. I bought the E-Sky from Hong Kong with 8.4 but guess what they sent me a mode 1 control with Throttle on right stick. I'm trying to get them to exchange but they want me to rebuild the unit. I'm not sure who will win this discussion.
I guess it can be reversed, but I should not have to correct their defects. Anyway, I'm making progress on the "flying at me" issue.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:34 PM
brentg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ernie,
That kinda blows about your controller, That would take some getting use to. The planes i mentioned are for ver 8 +, If you want you can download FMS 2 alpha 8.5 from the FMS site(6 meg file) , also this site "http://www.rc-sim.de/index_en.htm" has tons of planes and landscape files, they have some really great photo reallistic landscapes that rival the big three and put a whole new look on FMS. You have to join but is free! They are located in the download area under FMS and FMS 2.8 scenes there are many landscape files 2-9 meg size, the two that i download are "aero-club-bad-oldesloe and mitten , the text files are in german, but what you have to do is after you download and unzip you have convert the jpg's(except the prv one) to 24 bit bmp's this can be done in Windows paint, then transfer files to fms/lanscape.

Good luck and keep that wing up :-)

Brent