Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Flying south for the winter?

Old 09-07-2006, 07:59 PM
rasm0208

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Flying south for the winter?

I live in Minnesota and was wondering if its alright to fly a plane in cold temps. Is there a temp cut off that you should not fly in or are there any other rules of thumb when flying in frigid temps? thanks in advance
Old 09-08-2006, 07:05 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Flying south for the winter?

The lowest temperatures that I have flown in have been around 20*F. To fly in low temps, you need to keep the battery warm (inside your jacket) until you are ready to fly. My limitation has not been the battery or the plane (check out my thread on skiis in the parkflyer section), but rather my fingers. You need to keep your fingers warm enough to maintain a good feel for the contols, yet the gloves cann't be so thick that you cann't feel the controls through the gloves.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:27 AM
soarhead-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Flying south for the winter?

rasm:
Here in neebraskee it never gets cold as you know (yeah right) I have flown at around -10 degrees before but only for a few minutes just to see if it could be done with the equipment. Normally zero is my cut off point. Servos get a little stiff after about 10 minutes but they keep on working. On my hands I use a light cotton glove and then a light latex glove over that. Still have good finger feel...On my batteries (lipos & nimhs) I went to the drug store and got one of those heating pads that you put in the micro-wave for a minute to warm up and then they stay warm for 30 minutes or so. They cost under $ 10.00 when I bought it. Then wrap my batteries in it and stuff them in 6-pack cooler, pull them out when Im ready to fly and they work fine. My field (park) is about a block away so I trudge on down fly for 15-30 minutes. Only fly on dead calm mornings, so there is no wind chill factor. When you fly nimhs I have found that if you fly them wide open for the first minute or so they warm themself up by the amp draw then throttle back and fly normal As mom used to say dress warm and keep your feet dry and you are ok..........
Good Luck
Bob
We also have several indoor sites so am lucky that way also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!