Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

New pilot questions, using FMS as a teacher

Old 09-09-2006, 11:44 PM
mjswider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New pilot questions, using FMS as a teacher

Hi, I have become interested in flying RC airplanes. I am using FMS to learn to fly, and to check out planes I am interested in using to purchase. My choices thus far are either the EasyStar or the BeginAir. Flying the EasyStar in FMS seems way easier, as I so far am not attempting to use the ailerons (sp?) of the BeginAir. I know ailerons make the plane much more manueverable, but also can lead to trouble quicker.

As the BeginAir seems more versitile in the long run, I would like to start with a plane like this to reduce my long term cash outlay, assuming I stick with this. But the EasyStar seems so much easier to fly, at least in FMS, that it seems like it may be a better choice.

I would be curious to hear feedback from other users in regard to these comments. I know the standard "it is my choice", and "get an instructor" feedback, but feel free to share these if you wish. Thanks for any tips from personal experience you can share.

PS I have four boys that would be no doubt interested in flying the plane. They would need to show proficiency in FMS or some flight simulator with the plane to be flown before getting the controls.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:16 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pilot questions, using FMS as a teacher

The FMS is a great tool for getting your brain coordinated with your fingers for proper control inputs, for learning all about control reversal, etc., but it does not substitute for real flying experience. Go out right away and get yourself an AirHogs AeroAce for $30 at Toys-R-Us, Target, etc. Its a small, 9", very simple plane that is very easy to learn, is a blast to fly, and is virtually indestructable. It will get you in the air immediately, and you can experience the trill of flying while you are deciding which "real" plane to get. Your boys will love flying it as well. It comes in three different channels, so be prepared to buy three of them, to keep all of those pilots in your family busy. It also comes in two body styles: the original bi-plane and the new Jet. Both are excellent, but the bi-plane is a little better for indoor flying and the jet is a little better for outdoors. There are numerous threads about this plane, so check it out.

When you are ready to go for the "real" plane, the traditional favorite has been the EasyStar. However, the newly released SuperCub, from HobbyZone, is rapidly becoming known as the best beginner plane. Every thread has glowing remarks about it, and it costs less than the EasyStar.

Keep us informed of your progress.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:37 AM
mjswider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the advice regarding the air hog. I had read about that some where else and had forgotten about it. I like the idea of having something relatively inexpensive that the boys can try out to see if they are really going to get into this, or if it is just a passing fancy. I glanced a little at the air hogs aero ace thread, and it appears that even adults like these planes. Assuming I end up trying this, a couple of questions. What is the range of these planes, how long to charge the battery, how long do they fly, is the jet you refer to the defender, or the F16? I read an amazon post that said the defender had a cheap controller with only one control. Answering these questions if you would be so kind would save me from wading through the nearly 3000 posts in the aero ace thread.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Fliprob17

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mjswider

Hi, I have become interested in flying RC airplanes. I am using FMS to learn to fly, and to check out planes I am interested in using to purchase. My choices thus far are either the EasyStar or the BeginAir. Flying the EasyStar in FMS seems way easier, as I so far am not attempting to use the ailerons (sp?) of the BeginAir. I know ailerons make the plane much more manueverable, but also can lead to trouble quicker.

As the BeginAir seems more versitile in the long run, I would like to start with a plane like this to reduce my long term cash outlay, assuming I stick with this. But the EasyStar seems so much easier to fly, at least in FMS, that it seems like it may be a better choice.

I would be curious to hear feedback from other users in regard to these comments. I know the standard "it is my choice", and "get an instructor" feedback, but feel free to share these if you wish. Thanks for any tips from personal experience you can share.

PS I have four boys that would be no doubt interested in flying the plane. They would need to show proficiency in FMS or some flight simulator with the plane to be flown before getting the controls.

I used FMS to teach myself the controls and get the instant re-flexes down when you get in trouble. That is what it is best used for, it is not the greatest tool for comparing planes or picking a plane to buy. Do not let FMS choose your plane for you, try and find as much actual info. and feedback from actual user's. As far as a "real" plane after the Airhogs route, I would second the Hobbyzone SuperCub vote. Decent electronics for an RTF and a good trainer plane.