Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Looking for a new plane

Old 09-12-2006, 01:08 PM
CAMOMAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Looking for a new plane

I have been flying the GWS E-Starter with ailerons for a while and also been flying the nitro Sig LT-40 with ailerons and have been thinking of getting an electric mid or low wing airplane to learn to fly the lower winged planes....Which plane and setup would you recomend...
Old 09-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Looking for a new plane

I've heard Spicedcrab say that he really liked the way the GWS Formosa II flies. I believe it's a foamy ARF. Also, from personal experience, I really like the plywood/balsa Great Planes Mini Super Sportster ARF w/ speed 400 motor. It's a low wing w/ dyhideral plane that can fly slow enough if you want to or lets you perform all sorts of high speed thrilling sport aerobatics if you wish. Just be warned that I've destroyed 2 Sportsters (as of 2 days ago) because the wings folded/seperated in high Gs due to my error in glueing/repair work.

Both these planes require you to provide all the radio/ESC/servo equpment etc. The MSS comes with a speed 400 motor, but I don't know about the Formosa II. I upgraded both my MSS to E-Flite Park 450 and 480 brushless motors and even on 8-cell Nimh they flew great.

You can check out the thread in the Sport and Aerobatic Planes forum for topics on both the planes.

I'm sure there are other cheaper RTF options too that you all can chime in with.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:24 AM
CAMOMAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, for all the replies....I am leaning pretty hard on the E-flight Mini Ultra Stick with the E-flight 480 1020 kv outrunner motor.....what do you think of this set up.....I have read some threads that say this is a fun setup to fly have any of you tried it....
Thanks for the input...
Old 09-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Fliprob17

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was really looking hard at the Mini Ultra Stick too, then this came out http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL2375

So I immediately bought it. Has the Wingspan of the Mini Ultra Stick (a little bigger) and the scaled down looks of the Mini Edge. The same motor setup would work as well. Overall, just a great looking plane.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:40 AM
CAMOMAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

fliprob17,,,,,,,So how does it fly....is it as easy as the E-Starter and does it have the same flying qualities as the Ultra Stick.....it looks like it would be hard to fly...I have never flown a low wing airplane...just curious.....Thanks for the info.....
Old 09-13-2006, 11:01 AM
mandtra
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would try the Mini Katana, Extreme flight Yak or Brio 10 , These three planes fly more like glow planes. Most elecs dont fly like a glow plane's which makes it harder to become a better pilot if you want to move up to larger planes, I would reccomend you get a plane that you really have to fly , and you could setup dual rates and take to the next level of skill when ready. The mini ultra stick is a cute little park flyer , but it's more of a slow flying park flier , with very little room to improve your skills. I actually like it , but if I want to pratice and really push myself I fly me Mini Katana, or Brio10 . P.S. the Brio 10 has to be flown fairly fast, it will not fly slow , if you try to land it slow it WILL tip stall and crash.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Fliprob17

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: CAMOMAN

fliprob17,,,,,,,So how does it fly....is it as easy as the E-Starter and does it have the same flying qualities as the Ultra Stick.....it looks like it would be hard to fly...I have never flown a low wing airplane...just curious.....Thanks for the info.....
It has not been released yet, it is due to ship mid. October, I backordered it and have already started buying the gear. It is not going to be as easy as the E-Starter, that is for sure. It will fly faster than the MUS. I have never flown a mid wing plane either, right now I have a 4 channel Cessna 182, but it seemed silly to me to get another top/over the wing plane, when I wanted to progress to something more challenging. It has a large enough wingspan and prop to fly slow, but with the Park 480 in it, it will haul ***** [:-] when you want it to.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71986.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	523430  
Old 09-13-2006, 12:57 PM
CAMOMAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes that is a nice plane.......I have been thinking and I am gonna go with the MUS and get a little more aquainted with flying before I make the move to the low wing....I have time....I just love flying......When I feel comfortable with some tricks I will go low wing....thanks for all the help.....I am now just debating when to push the buy now button......This hobby is getting pretty expensive.....but what the heck....it's worth it to me...........