Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Brushless Spd Cntrl or Motor Problem Troubleshooting Help

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Brushless Spd Cntrl or Motor Problem Troubleshooting Help

Old 09-12-2006, 08:11 PM
yacser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Spd Cntrl or Motor Problem Troubleshooting Help

Went to fire up my new (via ebay) corona heli. It is a brushless setup.
Heres the problem:
As I increase throttle I will get a brief motor surge and then nothing at all.
I can reduce the throttle to zero and increase it and get another surge.
I get no response after the intial surge in any throttle postion until I return the throttle to zero.

I assume its a bad motor or speed control, I'm just not sure how to figure out which one is bad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Old 09-12-2006, 09:00 PM
sierra gold

Default RE: Brushless Spd Cntrl or Motor Problem Troubleshooting Help

Well it sounds to me like the LVC (low voltage cutoff) is cutting in. Essentially the battery voltage is sagging under load and when it's low enough the LVC stops it. While not running, the voltage recovers and when you try throttle again it runs for a brief time and the LVC cuts it again... etc., etc.

That could be caused by one of several things:

The ESC LVC may not be set for the correct voltage for your pack type - if it is progammable.

Your battery may not be fully charged or it may not have enough capacity for your motor.

I guess more details like motor, Esc, battery type and no. of cells would help with debugging.

b
Old 09-18-2006, 06:49 AM
mmc205

IT COULD ALSO BE THAT THE MOTOR DOESN'T HAVE A SOFT START, AND ITS TRIPPING THE LOW VOLTAGE CUTOFF ON THE ESC. THIS IS A PRETTY SIMILAR PROBLEM TO LOW VOLTAGE CUTOFF DUE TO A LOW BATTERY, EXCEPT IN THIS CASE, THE BATTERY IS FINE, AND THE INITIAL SURGE PUSHES THE VOLTAGE PAST LVC. WHEN THIS WOULD HAPPEN ON MY HELI (BEFORE I SWITCHED TO A ESC WITH SOFT START) I WOULD SPIN THE BLADES BY HAND TO GET THEM MOVING AND THEN SLOWLY THROTTLE OP (WITH YOUR HANDS OUT OF THE WAY!!!)
Old 09-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Fliprob17

It is also possible that your ESC does not have a high enough amp rating, you could be pulling more at full throttle than it can handle. A little more details on the setup would help.