Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Need Help with Slow Stick

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Need Help with Slow Stick

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 06:50 PM
sputnikxxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Slow Stick

I have very little flight experience... today on my first flights... I managed to break 3 props.... and strip the center part of the black gear on the gear box... lol.. but one thing I noticed that on take off it wants to nose up and stall.... does that mean im pulling back too far on the control elevator... with me being a newbie at this would it be better for me to adjust the servo's so there is less elevator control.... I have read a lot of forums and it seems that the most common mistake a first time pilot makes is over controlling... or flying too low to the ground... when I fly the stick I cant find a happy medium its either going up or going down... when I release my elevator stick should it fly straight... with exception of wind.... I am thinking that maybe because I dont have it properly trimmed I am gonna have a difficult time learning to fly like this... but there is no one else where I live that I know of that has experience with this... I would really like some input and advice....
Old 09-25-2006, 10:59 PM
jdetray

Default RE: Need Help with Slow Stick

Nosing up into a stall could be overcontrolling on your part, or it could be that the plane is not properly balanced or trimmed.

Overcontrolling is very common when you're learning. Trust me, I know! You can reduce the control throws by moving the pushrods to the outermost holes on the control horns, or the innermost holes on the servos arms, or both. You may also be able to reduce the throws by programming your transmitter.

For balance issues, you'll have to find someone who is experienced with the Slow Stick. Hopefully, such a person will join this thread. Or you can search for Slow Stick info on this forum or on RCGroups.com or WattFlyer.com. The Slow Stick is extremely popular, so there are many discussions about how to set it up.

Typically, you can expect the plane to climb gently under full throttle with the elevator at the neutral position.

EDIT: Here's a major thread about the Slow Stick. I'm sure you can get some help if you post in this thread:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7237

- Jeff
Old 09-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sputnikxxx
one thing I noticed that on take off it wants to nose up and stall....
A stock SS will nose up at full throttle. Once you get the hang of flying the plane, you'll get used to adding a touch of down when you go full throttle. In the meantime, once airborne, half throttle or a couple of clicks more, will fly the plane.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:58 PM
sputnikxxx

well.... im at a standstill for now.. I need a new gear box and lhs said it would take a week to get one in
Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 AM
jdetray

You might want to keep all your Slow Stick questions in one thread. I suggested a gearbox source in one of your other threads.

- Jeff
Old 09-27-2006, 12:52 AM
PHIL I.

The SS likes a CG of 4 1/4 in back of the leading edge...+ or - 1/4 in. If your close...nose heavy is better. Also the SS will climb at full thrittle. It needs a 3 deg. right, 3 deg. down on the thrust line of the motor. I used a square piece of hard wood & filed it down for the 3 by 3 and liked it better...Especialy after I went brushless....The SS is one of the most modified planes out there. Do a search while waiting for your gearbox.

PHIL I.