Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Slightly different beginners advice ;)

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Slightly different beginners advice ;)

Old 10-19-2006, 01:09 AM
NeveSSL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slightly different beginners advice ;)

Hi all!

I have a slightly different beginner situation.

I am wanting to get into electrics. Ultimately, I never did solo my glow planes (I own two... but they're at my parents house... I just got married, I'm in college, and I don't have room for them at my apartment ). However, I came really close, it was just a tight schedule thing. I am hoping to get into electrics for a bit to solidify my flying ability while still having room for my wife in our apartment, thus electrics.

Ultimately, my question is this: what should I start with? I worry that I will get bored rather quickly of a slow stik or similar plane plus I don't have a whole lot of money to spend, so I'm thinking of starting with something like a Tutor or the little Cesna 182s or something else that is 4 channels instead of getting a slow stick and having to spend more money after probably quickly becoming bored of it.

What do you guys think? Would it be too much? As far as glow goes, I had (at one time) got to the point that I could land and was almost ready to solo... but didn't quite make it there. As far as radios go, I have a Futaba 8U Super, so I'm more than fine there. Got lucky on that one... a friend sold it to me for a really good price when he upgraded to a 14z... heh.

Also, do any of you guys use the Hobbico Quick Field Charger MkIIs? Are they decent chargers?

Thanks!

Brandon
Old 10-19-2006, 05:08 AM
service_dude

Default RE: Slightly different beginners advice ;)

One of the most over looked 4 channel trainer's out there is the [link=http://www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006104]Cox EP380[/link] at $114 bucks. This plane is balsa with a sheeted leading edge wing and forward fuse. Very durable plane and flies exceptionally well. The rcgroups ezone has a review, you might want to check it out.

I learned to fly 4 channel with the cox EP380 just 4 months ago. I'm flying an eflite Ultima FX and Mini Funtana now but I still have my cox EP380.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:28 AM
coolbean

That's funny.. I pretty much made that exact plane out of foam for about $1.50
Old 10-19-2006, 09:52 AM
service_dude

WOW, you are just simply amazing
Old 10-19-2006, 10:49 AM
coolbean

I wasn't trying to sound snobish... It's just that at the time I built it, I didn't think there was anything like it on the market. Also to point out that if you can follow plans and have the time, building with foam is EXTREMELY cheap.

Here is the plane I was talking about.
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4253769/anchors_4253769/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4253769]PT-Foamy[/link]
Old 10-19-2006, 11:46 AM
sputnikxxx

im a newbie... and purchased the slow stick... I didnt have too good of luck with it but it could be just me... but everyone keep suggesting to me the easystar.... its mde out of epp foam and cheap too
Old 10-19-2006, 12:17 PM
NeveSSL

Thanks for the replies, guys...

Has anyone had experience with the Tutor or the Hobbico Quick Field Charger MkII? I think it may be a good plane for me since it's a 3 channel with ailerons as an option. I'm just slightly afraid of 3 channel planes after having flown 2 different 4 channel planes. Thanks!

Brandon
Old 10-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Godsguitarist

Has anyone had experience with the Hobbico Quick Field Charger MkII? .... I'm just slightly afraid of 3 channel planes after having flown 2 different 4 channel planes. Thanks!

Brandon
I have been using the Hobbico MKII for a couple of years now. It needs a 12V source, as you're likely aware, and it does a fine job of charging Nimhs and Nicads. It's lowest charging rate is 200ma, which could be an issue once you become a battery guru and want to charge smaller packs at a rate 1/10 of their capacity (eg. charging a 650mah cell would be first charged at 65mA). You can often do this charge off the wall charger that came with your radio, if you want to go through the trouble. In the end, you won't cause WWIII by not doing this if all you want to do is fly and have fun.

It only charges Lipos to about 85-90% fully charged, which may or may not be an issue with you. It only charges Lipos at a max rate of 1 amp, which may be of concern to some with really large capacity Lipo packs. It will charge up to a 3S (11.1V) pack.

The two outputs are good to have, especially when you've got a number of packs that you need charged.

I like the fact that it will time out after 2 hours when charging nicads or nimh's (I don't think it times out with Lipos). I know that if the charger should happen to miss peak, it will not continue to pour current into the battery and cause other problems.

If I were serious about flying electrics and was looking for a charger for Lipos, I would not buy this charger if it was my only charger. I do use the MKII for lipos, but once the MKII has done what it can, I finish the charge on another charger.

GWS has a wall charger for 2S and 3S lipos (under $10). You can always use one of those to top up the charge.

If you stay with electrics long enough, you are probably going to want a charger with features like the Triton and some kind of device that will allow you to balance the cells in a lipo battery (so all the cells in the battery are at the same voltage).
Old 10-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing to be afraid of with 3 channel planes. They don't roll the same as an aileron equipped ship, but they fly fine. In fact, some electric trainers, like the GWS Estarter, can be turned with rudder or elevator/aileron. I know this as fact, because my Estarter aileron servo came loose one day while it was in the air, and it was a nonevent because of the way it handles with rudder only.

And friction fitting servos, even if secured with sandpaper on both contact surfaces, is not a good idea.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:53 PM
NeveSSL

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I was thinking about getting a Triton 2, probably used to fit my budget.

I do like the appeal of being able to charge two batteries at once with the MKII, though. I'm thinking that it plus the Triton 2 may be a really good combo... the Triton 2 for LiPos, cycling, etc. and the MkII for quick charges of NiCDs and NIMH. We'll see, though. I do feel pretty confident in getting a Triton2, but I'm not 100% on that either. I do know that if I'm able to be active again in this hobby, it's going to HAVE to be through electric parkflyers because of space, so investing in a good charger is something I intend to do.

I may get a SS just for cost reasons right now... I would be able to fly sooner!

Any thoughts on those Hobby Lobby Cessna 180s? I live about 45 min. from Hobby Lobby, so I may go over there and check out everything they have to offer. Thanks!

Brandon
Old 10-20-2006, 04:33 AM
service_dude

I have a WM Cessna which is dimensionally similar Hobby Lobby Cessna 182. It balsa not foam and has an all up weight of 21oz which is a full 7oz lighter than the Hobby Lobby Cessna 182. While my Cessna flies nice, I could not imagine adding 7oz to it and it flying better. A high wing trainer like the cox model would be more forgiving as a trainer in my experience and a better choice. It flies slower, is more stable and will self correct better than the Cessna.

Slow sticks are a good first plane. But you might get Bord with it real quick. If you wanted to stick with a three channel, getting a HobbyZone Super Cub air frame only and adding your own electronics would be an option to. I've flown both these planes and like the cub better than the slow stick.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95751.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	544362