Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Radio adaptability?

Old 09-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Metrocat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio adaptability?

I posted a few days ago regarding being a beginner and wanting to move up to electric jets. I'd like to buy a radio that I can use down the road for more advanced planes but use right now to hook up to the computer for training with a SIM as well as use with the trainer plane now.

Like I said before I am leaning towards the Super Cub and I noticed the recomended radio for one of the electric jets I like is is the HiTec Optic 6, how do you detiermine if a radio will adapt to another plane, will the HiTec fly the SuperCub? I know the SuperCub comes with a transmiter but can you use another radio such as the HiTec by reprograming it?

I think I read in another thread that any new 4 channel radio will have a port to hook up to a computer. Is this true?

I would also pressume an instructor can "wire" into a students radio to "take over" in the event of a potential "bad" or "unintentional" landing? Also true?
Old 09-28-2006, 12:50 AM
jdetray

Default RE: Radio adaptability?

The Hitec transmitter will not work with the Horizon Hobby Super Cub. The Super Cub operates on 27 MHz. The Hitec operates on 72 MHz, which is the recommended frequency band for aircraft.

For the Hitec transmitter to fly the Super Cub, you would have to replace the electronics in the Super Cub.

Most newer transmitters have a port that allows you to use the transmitter with a computer sim.

When two transmitters are connected for instruction, the instructor has control unless he throws a spring-loaded switch to give control to the student. Anytime the student gets into trouble, the instructor need only release the switch to take back control.

- Jeff
Old 09-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Metrocat

Thanks for the reply Jeff, I'll pressume the HiTec has the ability to conect with an instructor. Yourother hobby is astronomy? Mine too, I have a Meade 10 inch LX200 classic, Meade 6 incho achro, and Burgess 5 inch Achro, another wonderful hobby to keep your eyes to the skies!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:24 AM
jdetray

My telescopes are more modest than yours, but I sure do enjoy the hobby. I'm also an amateur radio (ham) operator, so that makes three expensive technical hobbies!

- Jeff
Old 09-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Metrocat

Funny, me too but I only play around with a handheld Yaesu VX-7R, I'm just a Technician.

One day nerds will rule the world!!