Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Do you think this would be a good mod...

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Do you think this would be a good mod...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:17 PM
sputnikxxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think this would be a good mod...

I got to thinking about it ... has anyone ever used plexiglass for wings? or rudders? I noticed the my SS if I took a piece of plexi glass roughly the same thickness and cut the same basic shape for the rear tail section.... drilled me some holes in it for mounting to the fuselage and for mounting the connectors... with a stiffer less giving material would I get a more stable flight?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:54 PM
jdetray

Default RE: Do you think this would be a good mod...

Wouldn't plexiglass be tremendously heavier than the stock flight surfaces? There is a reason why R/C planes are made from lightweight materials such as balsa and foam!

- Jeff
Old 09-22-2006, 01:08 AM
sputnikxxx

well... that was my question was has anyone ever tried that and compared the weight difference... it seems light to me.... but im not sure... I just know that foam and balsa are both kinda weak..... and damage easy.... was trying to come up with something that could handle a lot more damage while im in my learning stages
Old 09-27-2006, 12:27 AM
Hatty

Most types of plexiglass will fracture upon harder impacts, but it will be stronger than foam and balsa. And it would look cooler too. But, It would make the plane so heavy that it will be hard to get off the ground or will have poor flight characteristics. It seems light in small quantities, but once you make an entire wing out of it and compare it to a similar foam wing, the weight will be very different. Just a little weight saved will make the plane fly better. Now, I'm not stopping you from experimenting, but just make sure you use inexpensive stuff and be prepared to handle a plane that flies much differently than you are used to.